JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO PowWow.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Memorable Hunts » 08 Baker season so far....Wrappinp up the season w/ pics! NEW! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: 08 Baker season so far....Wrappinp up the season w/ pics! NEW!
Mark Baker
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three weeks into it, and some successes to report so far. Opening day, and the only time dedicated to deer, just to break the "ice" a bit and get into the action. I took this fine doe with my new selfbow, and a cane shaft in the morning.

-

-

[ December 01, 2008, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Mark Baker ]

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2300 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on some fine eating

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slasher
Contributor 2010
Member # 3944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slasher   Email Slasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's what I'm talking about...

Congrats on your primative deer!!! Some fine eating there... So how much harder is it with primative?

--------------------
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
~Zig Ziglar~

Posts: 902 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Young Riley Fisher, also took a nice doe that morning.

-

His Dad...Fish Fisher, my hunting partner of some 20 years, took this doe while hiking back from his morning elk hunt the second day. It died alongside a hay meadow, so he retrieved with his 4-wheeler....(Okay, Don't let David Peterson know!)

-

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2300 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

That was the measure of our efforts, meat-wise for the first weekend. Always good helping out the landowner with deer control by taking as many does as we can. My sons Boone and Kory had no luck, and elk hunting was pretty slow, so far.

I did manage to stay an extra day hunting alone, and built a ground blind to intercept elk coming into a hay meadow. Here's a couple pics.

-

-

And through the "peephole" at dusk...

-

I did have a bull come by at about a hundred yards...real nice bull, but no shot opportunities.

The next weekend, Boone and Kory were unable to make the trip, but it was just as well, as the full moon and warm temps had the elk almost totally nocturnal. We worked mostly on setting new ambush sites up. The elk here do not call in real readily, and we use ambushes almost exclusively. A real great bull/cow ratio keeps them vocal, and you get to hear a lot of bugling, but they will not respond. Still nothing like that sound to get your blood boiling!

--------------------

John3
Contributor 2017
Member # 571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John3   Email John3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done.. Congrats.

JDS III

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor". Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri

Posts: 2944 | From: Berger, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats [thumbsup]

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2686 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

Third weekend, and we all were able to have fun pursuing elk mornings and evenings, with chasing antelope and stillhunting deer mid-days. Here's a pic of me working up the ridge towards a stand for elk.

-

No meat but lots of fun....until Sunday morning.

Boone left for home, sick and coughing too much to hunt. Kory and I went to ambushes nearby each other. At first light, Kory had the herd come by and took this scrapper! Details will be in an upcoming story, but suffice to say, he keeps showing up the ol' man! A selfbow kill, 20 yard heart shot with cedar shaft and magnus head. What a bull!

-

-

-

--------------------

Bakes168
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bakes168   Author's Homepage   Email Bakes168   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous, well done man! I like your music by the way.

Bakes

--------------------
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Posts: 574 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

Kory and I left Sunday afternoon with a load of meat, and also took Riley home as he had school on Monday.

I just talked with Fish, and he was able to stay an extra couple days this weekend and also took a bull. I will post a pic if he sends me one!

--------------------

Mark Baker
Member # 391

Kory and I left Sunday afternoon with a load of meat, and also took Riley home as he had school on Monday.

I just talked with Fish, and he was able to stay an extra couple days this weekend and also took a bull. I will post a pic if he sends me one!

--------------------

Mark Baker
Member # 391

OOOPS! Did'nt mean to double that up!

--------------------

Barney
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barney   Email Barney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[clapper]
Posts: 2007 | From: Wapiti, Wyoming | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Budog56
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Budog56   Email Budog56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awesome
Posts: 505 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kojac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool, it looks like you, fish and the kids thinning the herds for sure.

Is Riley's bow and old rocky mtn?

Congrats and well done to all!!!

--------------------
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Posts: 1001 | From: Somewhere in Montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©