JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » FYI Deer Hunting Ohio (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: FYI Deer Hunting Ohio
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrushWolf   Email BrushWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO. Its all about money and selling more tags. Everyone I have talked to has been seeing fewer deer. I hunted harder this year than in the past year and still ate tags. All my hunting is done on private land. As far as EAB goes I want to be able to shoot what I want when I want.

--------------------
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Posts: 1243 | From: OHIO | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye_hunter   Email buckeye_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brushwolf,

I'm there with you now after doing some fact finding. After looking at the stats, bowhunters in Ohio ARE getting it done. 50,000 deer in 2011-2012 and 60,000 in 2012-2013. That is 35% and 40% of the total deer harvest respectively.

-Charlie

Posts: 3196 | From: Galion, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dustin Waters
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dustin Waters   Email Dustin Waters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive hunted in Indiana my entire life and just recently have seen a push by our DNR to eradicate the doe numbers. Im not sure the reasoning behind it, but I can tell you from your neighbors to the west, when war is declared on the does your herd will begin to drop like flies.
Our DNR will not listen to us one bit over here. We have put up a fight every step of the way. Fight this doe only season, because it will come back to bite you. It is very easy to over harvest, and extremely difficult to bring a herd back to life.

I would also make mention that during our first "doe only" season, we had 1750 bucks get shot and checked in as button bucks or shed antlered bucks. Thats 1750 bucks that would have been alive in the 2013 season to grow a set of hard antlers. People will cheat and holding a doe only season only makes it easier.

Posts: 606 | From: Indiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrushWolf   Email BrushWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dustin, With deer check in now from home nobody will ever see the deer. What would stop someone from shooting there buck with a muzzleloader and waiting till the next day to check it in as a bow kill. [dunno]

--------------------

Posts: 1243 | From: OHIO | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dustin Waters
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dustin Waters   Email Dustin Waters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep, our DNR has completely gone the way of $$$ and lost interest in what the people that pay their salaries actually want.
Posts: 606 | From: Indiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cory Mattson
Contributor 2016
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Mattson   Email Cory Mattson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dustin excellent point - I work with doe management on several properties and the by-slaughter of button male fawns is the destructive issue that gets ignored. Me and all my guys use binoculars when bowhunting and the first thing we do when deer are coming is identify fawn bucks so we do not shoot them accidentally. On public land we see a minimum of 10% fawn bucks during "doe" hunts

--------------------
Savana River Bow Zone - Trad Bowhunting Club

Posts: 1389 | From: Work / NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dustin Waters
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10391

And our DNR allows them to be checked in as button bucks and not actual bucks. I know mistakes happen, I've shot a couple button bucks in my hunting career. I think you should be penalized in some manner for shooting one. Either pay an extra 25 bucks to check it in as a doe, or use your 1 buck tag on it. I think that is only fair. Especially since all they care about is the powerful $$$'s
Bowwild
Contributor 2017
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had a 2-day mid-October MZZL season, either sex for many years in KY. No impact on my hunting. The season isn't open on most public lands and private landowners can control who and what they allow.

We also have a weekend rifle season for youth in October. Again, no problem.

Our bow season starts the 1st Saturday of September.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5860 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most midwestern states with ample amounts of antlerless permits usually come in around 20% of the antlerless kill being button bucks. That's common and also accepted by all DNR's as worth the 80% females killed.

The one thing to think about is, it's late antlerless seasons not early ones, that account for the higher button buck kill, since fawns are harder to tell apart from does in December than they were in September. On top of it, deer are skittish by late season and often don't appear until last light, making it harder to tell a button from a doe.

A second thing to consider is, fawns are with does in early season, allowing for easier identification. It's easy to tell the fawns from the doe, in September. Post rut, button bucks have been kicked away by their mothers and have a more "adult" coat of hair. So, when 2 deer are seen in late season, often being two fawns, the hunter chooses to kill the bigger of the two, right? There's your dead button buck.

If one wants to "save" bucks, then antler point restrictions are far more productive than worrying about antlerless tags killing some button bucks. The buck slaughter occurs when a buck is about 18 months old, wearing his first set of small, yet legal antlers.

And if you still worry about button buck kills, then one should argue for early antlerless seasons, even if with firearms, than for firearms seasons that occur after the typical "regular firearms" season.

Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye_hunter   Email buckeye_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it is a moot point now that the legislation passed. The overall point I'm still making now, is that we don't need any antlerless season at all. The deer population is stable or declining on many public lands. The privately held land is where the high numbers of deer persist.They must do something about private land if they want to do something positive about deer numbers.

-Charlie

Posts: 3196 | From: Galion, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leatherneck
Contributor 2014
Member # 11436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leatherneck   Email leatherneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie, the private lands are declining as well. We lease 500 acres and have for about 17 years now. We manage it for trophy deer. Only the kids end up shooting the does when needed. But our numbers have been declining for the last 5 years.
Aother point to point out. If I read it correctly you cannot shoot a buck at all during this early ML season, even if bow hunting! It's doe only no matter the weapon. So keep that in mind. Me, I'll just stay home that weekend.

--------------------
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Posts: 4439 | From: Bethesda, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

quote:
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
I guess it is a moot point now that the legislation passed. The overall point I'm still making now, is that we don't need any antlerless season at all. The deer population is stable or declining on many public lands. The privately held land is where the high numbers of deer persist.They must do something about private land if they want to do something positive about deer numbers.

-Charlie

I have access to close to 1000 acres of private land. It gets harder and harder each year to find deer to hunt. I still think it is more about money than over population of animals.

--------------------

buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Sorry to hear some of you guys are running into trouble with low deer numbers on the private lands you hunt. Locally, a lot of the private land owners do not allow hunting at all. We have been seeing steady and high numbers of deer in these unhuntable locations around my small town. I guess I should have been more specific in that statement.

Do you think the decreasing numbers you are seeing has anything to do with the explosion in coyote numbers?

-Charlie

BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Coyotes aren't helping for sure. Bobcats are getting thick here as well. IMO - With a 6 deer limit the last few years and predation of fawns it has put a dent in the herd. As far as coyotes I try to do my part and trap as many as I can.

--------------------

leatherneck
Contributor 2014
Member # 11436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leatherneck   Email leatherneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrushWolf:
Coyotes aren't helping for sure. Bobcats are getting thick here as well. IMO - With a 6 deer limit the last few years and predation of fawns it has put a dent in the herd. As far as coyotes I try to do my part and trap as many as I can.

X2!!!! Shoot the yotes every chance we get. but they still get their share. We had a deer kill several years ago. Didn't hit us as bad as our neighbor West Virginia but took the herd down. The 6 deer a year hurt as well.

--------------------
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Posts: 4439 | From: Bethesda, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©