JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » FYI Deer Hunting Ohio (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: FYI Deer Hunting Ohio
buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye_hunter   Email buckeye_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the 2013-2014 season is over, I can say this legislation was a bad call. The overall harvest was down over 13% this year statewide. This makes 6 of the last 7 years we have seen a harvest decline.

Sadly, the state is getting ready to okay the same regulations again for this upcoming year. I wound up gun hunting due to time constraints. I only saw 3 deer in 4 days on private land at that. Our overall group of hunters only saw a total of 7 deer in 4 days of gun hunting on private lands.

Everyone I have spoken with this season on public and private land has said the same thing. "Where are the deer?"

Posts: 3196 | From: Galion, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve in Canton
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve in Canton   Email Steve in Canton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some significant changes proposed to the deer seasons this upcoming year. I think that the DNR has done a good job at managing our herd, they are never going to make everyone happy. If you only saw 7 deer maybe you need to adjust how you hunt, or find new private land.
Posts: 313 | From: Canton Ohio | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye_hunter   Email buckeye_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seven deer and some of that was WITH a deer drive used. I think, if you can't move them with drivers and posters, they are not there to start with. Finding new private land is not easy.
Posts: 3196 | From: Galion, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slickhead
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 30291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slickhead   Author's Homepage   Email Slickhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like they are trying to pass a rifle season in Ohio for 2014
Straight wall cartridges only
duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Smile]

--------------------
Slickhead

Posts: 899 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hope Tradgangers would support any easing of rules in shotgun/muzzleloader only area's, since they are allowing old, traditional calibers in traditional lever action rifles.
There's a push to do the same in southern Michigan too and I fully support it.

It isn't as if any state is creating new firearms seasons just for straight walled calibers or allowing centerfire calibers which are more powerful than modern slug guns, they just want to allow calibers that are essentially lesser than the 250 yard muzzleloaders and slug guns out there today.

I think if one is going to use a firearm in southern Michigan or Ohio, why can't they use a lever action in a caliber with less killing range than what is legal now?

I have a Browning A Bolt slug gun that I'm completely comfortable out to 250 yards with. Compared to the proposed calibers, my slug setup, matched with premium slugs, out performs a 45-70 on every count and my drop in long range trajectory is 50% less, minimum, with a premium slug from a premium slug gun, than compared to a lever gun in 45-70.

I think my 40lb recurves have better trajectory than the .45 Long Colt. [Wink]

Here's the calibers in question...

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

If it can be used in a handgun to hunt, there is little reason not to allow it for lever action or other rifles. I always thought that was a crazy rule. It was okay for handguns, but not rifles.

To speak to the original post about the doe only season, I think(my opinion here) it is foolish.If I am bow hunting that weekend and a buck walks by, I have to let it go. What if it is the only chance I get at a deer that season? I'm not out for antlers, but I do eat deer everyday literally. I would like to see higher numbers on the public lands. The deer are still there, just in much depleted numbers.

buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Also, in a previous post, I should have said similar seasons and regulations, not the same. My mistake.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©