JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Health Dept.: Homeless Can’t Eat Deer Meat (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Health Dept.: Homeless Can’t Eat Deer Meat
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

“Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”

That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.

“That’s a mild understatement,” said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. “Hunters are going nuts over it. It’s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.”

The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Henry Martin, executive director of the mission, told Fox News they’ve been serving deer meat for years – from deer chili to deer spaghetti.

“This was really good meat,” he said. “It’s high in protein and low in cholesterol. It’s very healthy.”

Martin said he was extremely bothered by the way state health inspectors handled the situation.

“You would think we would have due process,” he said. “But they meant to destroy the meat – that’s for sure.”

The mission’s chef asked if they could at least return the meat to the processing plant – but the state officials said no.

“They actually took it out to the dumpsters, split the packages open and poured Clorox on it,” Martin told Fox News.

He said the rescue mission serves 200,000 meals a year – without a single dime of assistance from the state or federal governments. As a result of the confiscation, he said as many as 3,200 meals were lost.

“It seems like this was a senseless act,” he said. “I don’t think hungry people who come to our mission appreciate the fact they could have been eating some really good venison and as it is now – no one can eat it.”

The Health Dept. defended their actions and said they had to pour Clorox on the meat as an “extra precaution so that animals would not eat it from the dumpster and become sick or die.”

“This is a process called ‘denaturing,’” they stated.

Campbell said the venison comes from deer management programs – where hunters have to kill a lot of deer.

“We ask our hunters once they fill up their own freezers to give the extra to the needy,” he said.

Once the deer is donated, a local processing plant prepares the meat for the shelters.

And hunters in the Sportsman’s Paradise have always responded to the call – including State Rep. Jeff Thompson.

“As a hunter and somebody who has personally donated deer to this program, I’m outraged and very concerned,” he told Fox News. “You hear about these stories anywhere and it’s a concern – but when it happens in your own backyard it’s insulting.”

Thompson said he is meeting with the heads of state agencies as well as state lawmakers to make sure the rules are changed.

“We take pride in helping our neighbors and to see thousands of dollars worth of meat that would help the hungry go to waste is absolutely disturbing to me,” he said.

Thompson said at the very least the meat should have been returned to those who donated it.

“We want to make sure the generosity of hunters and processors are honored and the hungry are provided with the food they are very much in need of,” the lawmaker added

Posts: 754 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Kissner
Contributor 2014
Member # 1258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Kissner   Email Bill Kissner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony, I read about this earlier today and it made me sick. It is hard to rationalize destroying absolutely good food. The government acts like mother hen sometimes.

--------------------
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Posts: 1220 | From: Wayne City,IL/Mancos,CO | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Theis
Contributor 2016
Member # 10266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Theis   Email Mike Theis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would rather eat properly processed venison, than beef from cattle who have had antibiotic injections within their lifetime. This would seem to be some sort of prejudice against hunters over common sense. OR they are being just plain stupid. What a waste and a shame.

--------------------
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Posts: 389 | From: WI | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, I could not agree with you more. What a shame to throw away perfect edible meat that is not tainted by chemicals. Lord help us, what is this world coming to.
Posts: 754 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatrick
Contributor 2017
Member # 2066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hatrick   Email Hatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”

Excuse me, but starvation is a health threat! Funny, but I didn't see where they showed anyone who had gotten sick by eating the deer meat over the last 20 years it's been served at the shelter. Probably a much better record than the local McDonalds.

3,200 meals lost. Now that's just shameful. and it doesn't appear that they tried to work out any kind of compromise.

I'm with you, Tony. What is this world coming to.

Hope to see you Saturday at the banquet!

Dave

--------------------
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Posts: 1523 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Hi Dave. Yes, Lord willing I will see you at the Banquet.

Tony

papawoody
Member # 29863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papawoody   Email papawoody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up to a saying, Beggars cant be choosers. I'm sure out of 100 people that were being fed, one person had to complain to the right person to make this happen. Its sickening, I think the one who made this call should be charged with wanton waste of a game animal!

--------------------
62" 54@28 costom Big River longbow
66" 54@28 Big River longbow
60" 53@28 Big River recurve
Compton Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Posts: 99 | From: Hustisford, WI | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calgarychef
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that you can't guarantee how the deer was looked after by the hunter. I don't eat the game of very many other hunters for the very same reason.
Posts: 1254 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall, for it to be donated the deer has to be butchered and supplied by a licensed establishment, not just dumped on the doorstep by someone.
ChuckC

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pruiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pruiter   Email pruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words of my late father

Its not that we are going to have a depression. That fact of the mater is we need a depression

As much as most know how sad it is to waste food, there are a 100 bureaucrats to explain why wasting food is better.

Misson needs to add a value added tax to meals, Then bureaucrats can see the foods value in a new light

god help us

--------------------
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor longbow 71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Posts: 147 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Lail
Contributor 2013
Member # 3084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Lail   Email T Lail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another stupid act by politicians and their "politically" correct watch dogs.......my grand ma brought us up with the saying" to waste food is a sin".......shame on them!!!!!!

--------------------
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Posts: 1165 | From: Vale, NC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
So-Mo Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for So-Mo Archer   Email So-Mo Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It amazes me how meat, processed by a licensed and inspected butcher (regardless of animal origin) can be deemed a health threat. My grandpa would roll in his grave to know such as this was going on.

Lord forgive them, they (hopefully) know not what they do.

--------------------
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Posts: 216 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just illustrates that those in the government are less concerned about actually helping the poor and more concerned about the government being in total control of the poor...and thus their votes.
Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bogeyrider63
Contributor 2017
Member # 16581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bogeyrider63   Email bogeyrider63   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So someone being fed at the shelter complains about eating venison so you have to throw it all out? He was being given a free meal and complains? What do's he want? Prime Rib served with all the trimmings? Hunters donated all this fine healthy venison and it is not good enough for someone getting a free meal? I bet if he was being served twinkies and a pop he would be happy. Unreal.
Posts: 1038 | From: michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
papawoody
Member # 29863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papawoody   Email papawoody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Venison. A great source of lean protein. Givin to the poor, " witch, without out would have a peanut butter samwitch". My young family loves venison. There had to be some one behind the scenes coaxing the person to complain. Cause if I was starving, God knows what I woud eat.

--------------------
62" 54@28 costom Big River longbow
66" 54@28 Big River longbow
60" 53@28 Big River recurve
Compton Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Posts: 99 | From: Hustisford, WI | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©