JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Missouri Dept of Conservation-Bad Decisions (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Missouri Dept of Conservation-Bad Decisions
dhaverstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dhaverstick   Author's Homepage   Email dhaverstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Representatives from several conservation minded organizations (United Bowhunters of Missouri, Missouri Bowhunters Association, Conservation Federation of Missouri, etc.) will be meeting with Mike Hubbard (MDC Division Chief) and Tom Draper (MDC Assistant Director) on February 11th, 2015 to discuss the crossbow issue.

One group that will be notably absent at this meeting is the Missouri Crossbow Hunters Association. Why? Because they don't exist!

If there is such a push by Missouri citizens to include crossbows in archery season then why isn't there an organization to lobby on their behalf? Hell, even the atlatl users have the Missouri Atlatl Association and you know there aren't too many of those guys.

There are currently 42 days in Missouri where it is legal to use crossbows to hunt deer. Many of those days overlap with the state's archery season. If there is such a desire to hunt with these weapons then why don't I see the woods full of people toting them around during these 42 days? I'll answer that myself. It's because most of those days it is also legal to use a firearm. It's easier to hunt with a firearm so why use a crossbow? Likewise, the folks who want to use crossbows in archery season think why spend my time learning to use a real bow if I could use a crossbow instead?

Darren Haverstick

Posts: 625 | From: Fair Grove, MO | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnovo
Contributor 2017
Member # 6889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnovo   Email dnovo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Darren.
I don't want to get started here cause I'm trying to watch my blood pressure. There are so many things wrong with this it's ridiculous.
I will be at the meetings when they get to my area.

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Posts: 1546 | From: Imperial, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got their email and politely replied my comments bluntly and politely.

Glad you can meet with them Darren! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

kennysarchery.com

Posts: 11526 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnovo
Contributor 2017
Member # 6889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnovo   Email dnovo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big thanks to Darren, Brian, Tom, Dick and any others member of United Bowhunters of MO who can make the time to do this.
Lots of people sacrifice their time to ensure out bowhunting heritage can continue.
Too bad a lot of members of a site like this can't even bother to join a group who protects their hunting heritage

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Posts: 1546 | From: Imperial, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dhaverstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dhaverstick   Author's Homepage   Email dhaverstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had our meeting yesterday with MDC Assistant Director Tom Draper, MDC Division Chief Mike Hubbard and Conservation Commissioner Jim Blair. Organizations representing the archery community included the Missouri Bowhunters Association, United Bowhunters of Missouri, Archery Big Bucks of Missouri, Conservation Federation of Missouri and the Pope and Young Club.

Overall, I think it went well. Draper and Blair took a lot of notes, explained to us how the regulation approval process worked and made clear that this was not a done deal. Blair even said that he personally does not like crossbows. I believe the attendants did a good job of shooting holes in MDC's assertion that including crossbows in archery season would recruit new hunters and retain old ones.

Mr. Hubbard said that the push for crossbow inclusion was coming from the general public. The validity of this push was questioned by the mere fact that no pro-crossbow representative of the general public was in the room.

I also brought up the point that MDC's own data shows that, sadly, the majority of hunters in the state only buy tags one or two years in a row. Do we really want this group of people influencing long term policy when they might not even be participating come September?

Lastly, it was made clear that everyone in the room felt that archery hunting was about tradition, heritage and somewhat of a rite of passage. Even MDC touts these traits about hunting in general. So, with everyone agreeing on this point, then how do crossbows in archery season fit in with this sentiment when surveys show that the majority of folks who want to use them do so because crossbows are "easier" to use and the learning curve is much less steep? Plus, when these same folks learn that crossbows are not necessarily so easy to use, they abandon them altogether and quit hunting. So much for recruitment and retention!

We will see what happens...

Darren

Posts: 625 | From: Fair Grove, MO | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Vought
Contributor 2015
Member # 393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Vought   Email Ron Vought   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't want crossguns in archery season. We have it here in PA I am hearing that the PGC is looking hard at the increased number of bucks taken before the rut. Could end up negatively impacting your archery season. Also expect more deer drives with crossgun use....gun hunting mentality will carry over.

Ron

Posts: 1167 | From: South East, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakeemt   Email Jakeemt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I am the lone voice in support of crossbows. I will be at the town hall meeting on the 28th to voice my support. I have no problems with crossbows and I think they belong in archery season. I hunt with traditional bows because I like them and enjoy the challenge but, I see no reason to exclude crossbows. I really do think they will bring more people into the sport. I am an example! I started with a crossbows and thought it was so much fun that I had to go out and get a "real bow" now I am hooked! Lol anyway please don't be rude I respect your guy's opinions about why crossbows shouldn't be allowed I simply do not agree. To me they are archery and belong in that season.
Posts: 808 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakeemt   Email Jakeemt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternatively I think one of the best compromises we could make would be to allow the use of crossbows in archery only areas since, most of those areas are designated that way for safety, but only during the rifle and muzzleloader portion of the season.
Posts: 808 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a water fountain in that big mall up north, it is big enough to paddle a canoe around. Just think a wilderness experience with an orange Julius stand just a few yards away. Hunting is becoming more like that every year. What dnr departments and state legislators are doing is a joke. Nothing is done for the sake of the experience, adventure, a wilderness ethic or the challenge, it is all about money and nothing but money. In Iowa the public hunting areas are just like shopping malls, there are cameras everywhere, people running around with all kinds of contraptions, the fight to get in just the right spot. Anything it takes to get the big deer and be the big man is justified. Gun and crossbow companies are owned by bigger companies and they have money to spend. They spend it on politicians. The argument that it will bring more hunters to the sport doesn't fly. What archery needs is hunters that are willing to work to take on a challenge, hunters with ethics and backbone, that is what started the archery seasons in the first place. It was something that non-hunting politicians could admire. There is nothing to admire about gadget laden woods with hunters that have weapons that take very little practice that anyone can sort of master in a few minutes. If we cannot sell the idea of taking up hunting as a challenge and an adventure with an ethic for the love of wild places, it is obvious that we really have nothing to sell. It is disturbing to me, how shallow people have become.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5578 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35665

This may be true in Iowa but MO has one of the best (if not the best) Conservation Departments in the country! They are completely independent of the politicians in the Capitol. What's more they have there own source of funding that is substantial and cannot be touched by any other organization per our state constitution. There is a 1/10th of 1 percent tax of every outdoor related product in the state. That's not just guns and bows but, fishing gear, binoculars, back packs, trail bikes, canoes, kayaks, and more. I have 4 1000 acre + conservation areas within a 20 minutes of me and yes while you will have to occasionally pack out some slobs trash you will find no cameras, no orange Julius', and if you go deep off the trail to get to the good spots you will have yo pack out your buck on your lonesome as they do not allow vehicles of any kind. This is the situation throughout most of the state. If they have decided to try adding crossbows it is truly due to public input and not some greed corporate pressure. X-bows would represent just a drop in the bucket.
dnovo
Contributor 2017
Member # 6889

Jake, I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple things. First thing however I will agree that we have probably the best Conservation Dept in the country. However it is coming under increasingly heavy fire from our legislators. If you are not aware of the recent bills filed trying to dismantle our dept and take away funding, then I suggest you research that.
Yes the dept says public input says to allow crossbows, but their surveys are flawed in whom they ask. When you ask firearms hunters if crossbows should be allowed, what do you think the answer will be?
I think you are a younger man and should possibly research the history of archery hunting in our fair state to try to understand what was accomplished to get archery seasons here.
Also archery hunting has always been portrayed as a challenge, but the modern hunters want to try to make everything easier. Contradiction? I think so.
Crossbows are not archery equipment with a stock and a trigger and a scope and will never be considered archery to me.

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Jakeemt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35665

Dnovo. While I don't think we will agree on the crossbow issue. I am aware of what is going on in Jeff City. I have sent a few emails but, it looks like time for letters as well. I haven't heard if the MO farm bureau is behind this like most of the other times. Do you know if this is the case? When will these guys get it and back off.
dnovo
Contributor 2017
Member # 6889

Jake,
Actually the consensus is that a lot of it is retaliation from the deer breeders being shot down last year trying to take control of captive deer from the MDC.
Several legislators have actually said so.

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Jakeemt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35665

What a lot of B.S. I called and left one message and spoke to another aid for my locals from both the general assembly and the senate today. I let them know that A) I am a registered voter, B) I vote in local elections and while I swing republican I am independent and C) that I would be watching carefully their votes on these 8 bills. I will also make a call to Mr. Nixon's office to tell him (again) how pleased I was about his veto. I don't usually do that kinda thing but, the MDC is one of the few issue that gets me on the phone or writing letters.
dhaverstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4632

Besides contacting your elected officials personally, I think it's really important to become a member of the Conservation Federation of Missouri. This organization is the political hammer we can use on the knuckleheads in Jeff City. Also, CFM has the clout to steer policy inside of the Missouri Department of Conservation.

The CFM annual convention is the weekend of March 20th-22nd at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City. It is open to the public and this where a lot of big time decisions are made concerning the MDC regulations.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©