JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Minimum Draw Weight Requirement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minimum Draw Weight Requirement
Tradcat
Contributor 2016
Member # 35226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tradcat   Email Tradcat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that kinetic energy, arrow placement and sharp broadheads are necessary BUT what is your opinion on the minimum draw weight to ethically hunt anything in North America ? Please advise..
Thanks,
Tradcat

Posts: 621 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkken
Contributor 2017
Member # 14892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkken   Email elkken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Washington state the minimum is 40#'s I believe. We have moose and elk to hunt in our state and 40#'s is a tad on the light side ...

--------------------
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4593 | From: washington state | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtsouthpaw
Contributor 2017
Member # 24255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtsouthpaw   Email mtsouthpaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montana has no minimum draw weight. This has worked very well for us in terms of keeping crossbows out of the archery season. No one can make the argument that they can't draw X number of pounds - it's simply up to them to ensure they have an effective setup which will ethically kill the animal.
Posts: 219 | From: Montana | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A large ( in my eyes) problem with those rules is that they make a large assumption. They equate draw weight to the effectiveness of a projectile in causing a lethal wound. There is a whole lot involved and the parameters change.

Weight is always used to equate adequacy, although some 40# bows might be as fast as a 60# bow. Certainly arrow weight, correct spine, broadhead efficiency and sharpness all play a part as well.

The big problem is coming up with a fair and equitable ( and, most of all, knowledgeable) description of necessary adequacy.

That will take a bit to overcome.
ChuckC

Posts: 7169 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowguy67
Member # 45078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowguy67   Email Bowguy67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In NJ where I teach hunter ed it is 35 lbs. while that will shoot through a deer production bows are 35 at 28". Most aren't pulling this
Posts: 7 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©