JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Vote to keep grizzly hunting legal (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Vote to keep grizzly hunting legal
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voted.

It sure is sad to see all of these anti hunting movements. I'm worried that by the time I'm actually old enough to afford to go on some of these hunts, there won't be any hunts left to go on.

Posts: 425 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trenton G.:
Voted.

It sure is sad to see all of these anti hunting movements. I'm worried that by the time I'm actually old enough to afford to go on some of these hunts, there won't be any hunts left to go on.

Me too!
Posts: 2509 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lowered our loss by 2 points!
Posts: 2509 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lablover
2017 Contributor
Member # 17791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lablover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is appealing to sentiment and feeling not knowledge. voted

--------------------
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Posts: 656 | From: Douglass, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Polls" and "studies" are very discriminatory in my mind. I dealt with this in my work for years. As was pointed out, one single word can bias the whole thing Where the poll is done and who is targeted will bias the whole thing.

You will get the answer you want if you design it, word it, or market it correctly..... and they do.

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2015
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voted

hate liberal media

--------------------
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 774 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd rather see a trophy hunter killed by a grizzly than a grizzly killed by a trophy hunter. At least the grizz will eat what he kills.

But don't worry -- I abstain from this vote. The link gave me a poll about hunting in Canada. Far be it from me to tell another country what they should do within their own borders.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 552 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
Contributor 2017
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done! Man, who leaves the meat?! Bear jerky YUMMMM! Grilled Bear! Bear with brown gravy! Ohh I'm getting hungry...

--------------------
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Wes Wallace Mentor
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7035 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
Personally, I'd rather see a trophy hunter killed by a grizzly than a grizzly killed by a trophy hunter. At least the grizz will eat what he kills.

No disrespect intended here, but that mindset drives me nuts. I see it in almost every hunting related issue that comes up. "I wish the animal had killed him instead..." etc. etc.
I think that the words "trophy hunter" are used to loosely nowadays. I consider a trophy hunter to be someone who holds himself to a certain standard and sets a goal to harvest an animal only if it meets there expectations. For me, my standard is that a buck has to either have six points or be fully mature before I shoot. In that sense, I am a trophy hunter because I limit myself to what I shoot. To me, this is the real definition of trophy hunting. Traveling to B.C. and shooting a grizzly doesn't really seem that different to me. If someone goes with expectations of what they want to harvest, and they are happy with the bear that they get, that is a successful "trophy hunt". That doesn't mean that they hunted with the wrong intentions or conducted the hunt in a dishonorable way (although this could be the case), it just means that they set a standard for themselves and were content with only getting that animal or none at all.

Thats just the way I see it. It may not make sense to others I guess, but it does to me. I just think that the words trophy hunter are thrown around way to loosely, and that leads to misunderstandings of what it really is. Like I mentioned before YosemiteSam, no disrespect meant or anything.

Posts: 425 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HARL
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HARL   Email HARL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done !

--------------------
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
62"59@28 Schafer Recurve
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Posts: 2064 | From: Barrie Ont.Can. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njloco
Contributor 2013
Member # 24437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njloco   Email njloco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Street racing isn't legal ? Voted no !

--------------------
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Posts: 2787 | From: Soviet state of N.J. | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeager
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeager   Email yeager   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any animal with a bow is a trophy.....you have my vote.

--------------------
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Posts: 414 | From: No. Illinois | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

quote:
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:

But don't worry -- I abstain from this vote. The link gave me a poll about hunting in Canada. Far be it from me to tell another country what they should do within their own borders.

Really? Weren't you just whining in an ultra long and boring post about hunting in California where the more liberal Americans are having you compete with unchecked (and biologically unhealthy) predator numbers? With all due respect
I do not understand your logic and find it very dehumanizing. You might as well wish I and the others here where hit by a bus!

That's coming from and generally Judeo Christian point of view. I see human beings as totally different than animals, obviously you don't. But let's just take it from a point of you that is likely more similar to yours? A purely scientific point of view based on matters of evolution, natural selection, and general wildlife behavior:

It is widely known that grizzly bears seek out and kill black bears on a regular basis. They also most often don't eat their kill. The same goes for wolves killing coyotes and not eating them as well as coyotes killing foxes etc. so forth and so on. So what I'm saying is that strictly from a scientific point of view we as human beings are the apex predator and are only carrying out our natural predatory instinct to reduce competition. The difference being that we as humans are able to reason out management plans. It's a beautiful thing really! We are the piece to this incredible puzzle that will hold it all together, could it be that earth is depending on us?

If Some of the more liberal folks would get their heads out of their you what's for once they might see that humans are part of the solution. We are a part of our environment just like the grizzly bear.

Daz
Contributor 2017
Member # 17422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daz   Email Daz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lablover:
This is appealing to sentiment and feeling not knowledge. voted

Knowledge of what? Are you aware of the underlying issues with underfunding of resource management in BC, and the history of poor data collection that reflects decisions not made with good science?

Are you aware of the fracturing of ecology that has resulted in diminishing grizzly compartments and poor genetic diversity?

How would you defend this hunt to a non-hunter (not an anti-hunter) if asked why it is an ethical use of resources? How you can justify shooting a grizzly for nothing more than it's skull and hide while leaving 300 plus pounds of meat to rot?

--------------------
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Posts: 433 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobman   Email bobman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like street racing lol

I don't eat bears so I don't shoot them, I would have to have more information about grizzly population dynamics to vote yay or nay.

I wouldn't hesitate to kill one that was threatening me.

Posts: 220 | From: Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©