JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Shooting and municipalities (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Shooting and municipalities
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After backyard shooting for decades, I recently found out that there is an ordinance prohibiting such activity within city limits, even on private property with a fenced in yard as I have. (Oops!) Has anyone else run into this, and how did you deal with it? (ignore, comply with, etc?) Has anyone ever had a bow confiscated by LEO's as a result of complaints, etc?
I would hate to have a run-in with LEO's...we have a bunch of new neighbors and you never know how people will react.

From the code of city ordinances, verbatim:

No person shall shoot or fire an arrow, dart, spear or other sharp projectile by means of a bow, crossbow or other like instrument.

How would you deal with this issue?

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 671 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpdaddy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpdaddy   Email Carpdaddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes; I live in City limits and can't shoot in my yard. My neighbors back yard however backs up to where City limits ends, he lets me shoot there. I am still shooting in city limits but haven't had any problems so far.

--------------------
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Posts: 556 | From: Corbin Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biathlonman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biathlonman   Email Biathlonman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd put blunts on my arrows and argue that I was not shooting a "Sharp projectile". That's also why I live in the country, and I can't imagine a cop confiscating a bow over an ordinance violation.
Posts: 3929 | From: Lexington, Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronp
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ronp   Email ronp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our village forbids discharging a firearm within village limits. New York State considers bows firearms. NY state also forbids discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, unless you own it or have permission. And BB guns are firearms in our state.

So I am careful where I shoot. Fortunately I have plenty of areas to shoot. [archer2]

--------------------
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB

Posts: 5487 | From: Parish, New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I'd put blunts on my arrows and argue that I was not shooting a "Sharp projectile".

You make a very good point! Not sure an LEO would buy that, but if you went to court over it you could certainly use it as an argument for the defense. However, since "wrist rockets" shooting ball bearings (which are also arguably, 'blunt') are also prohibited, you would very likely lose the case.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 671 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

As a footnote, I always assumed shooting a recurve was sort of a 'backyard family activity' (much like playing Jarts, which are now illegal in most municipalities, BTW!)and had a sort of "no harm, no foul" air about it. Now that I know, however, it becomes a much bigger white elephant in the room to wrestle with.
"Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law"
..but then again,
"Ignorance is bliss"
Which door would you choose...Door Number One or Door Number Two?

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Muttly
Contributor 2017
Member # 39217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muttly   Email Muttly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically,you are not supposed to break the law to uphold the law.
And that one goes out the window every day in every state by eight a.m. at the latest..

Posts: 129 | From: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trond   Email Trond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of funny... Up here, where bowhunting is illegal, a bow isn´t considered a weapon and can be used everywere except in public places.

--------------------
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Quicks Peregrine II, with Samick Red Fox limbs, 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Posts: 350 | From: Norway | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless someone complains I'd keep shooting and also keep my mouth shut with other people about it. Maybe cover the target up and have the surrounding neighbors over for a cookout and some beers to build goodwill.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5005 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tall fences make for great neighbors!

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 573 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just shoot inside your house .
I'm sure your wife won't mind . [knothead]

--------------------
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow. " Fred Bear
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 2255 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep shooting and do it safely. Make yourself some blunts from field points so you aren't using a sharp object by any stretch. Don't let anybody know about it or move, I love archery too much to not be able to shoot at my home. I also live in a neighborhood and shoot in the backyard daily. I have plywood barriers set up and super high-quality high fence
Posts: 2561 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highlow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highlow   Email highlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully, where I live, I don't have to worry about that but if I did live within the municipal limits that ban it, I would most likely break the law but do it safely. Enjoy this stuff so much I couldn't bear not shooting.

--------------------
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Posts: 907 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muttly
Contributor 2017
Member # 39217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muttly   Email Muttly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wives have a knack for finding out when you've been shooting inside the house...
Posts: 129 | From: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archie
Contributor 2017
Member # 13795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie   Email Archie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work for Country government, and part of my job is the interpretation and application of County ordinances and state statutes to their respective situations.

Being aware of the existence of several no-projectile ordinances in our metro area, when the time came I bought a house where I could legally shoot in my yard. I also spoke with the Sheriff before shooting there, and even had an officer come to my house and discussed it with him. I also cleared it with my neighbors, and now all is well.

I would recommend NOT breaking the law, and instead finding another way to shoot legally. You can try to get the law changed, or perhaps find an exception clause... but if you do shoot illegally, you are putting yourself in a bad situation. Any errant arrows, or angry neighbors, or accidents, or injuries may result in legal problems for you.

I had to call the Sheriff once, when a crazy ex-jailbird on drugs walked into my yard and tried to get my bow away from me while I was shooting. (That was CRAZY.) I had no problems with the officer when he showed up, and am glad I was on solid ground with respect the law.

Those laws may be unwelcome, but consider that we live in a society where in many neighborhoods there are people (mostly youths) who would cause real problems with slingshots and BB guns and bows & arrows. Those ordinances are to deal with all of that... blowgun darts and potato guns and pellet guns, etc. Sadly, when too many people refuse to exercise self-control, the only way the government can try to maintain order is to exercise its own control, and then good people lose their freedom.

--------------------
"The problem with quotes and other information obtained on the internet is that it is difficult to determine whether that information is genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

66" Black Widow PLX 48# @ 31"
64" Black Widow PMA3 49#, 56#, & 68# @ 31"

Posts: 1883 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©