JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Shooting and municipalities (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Shooting and municipalities
slowbowjoe
2017 Contributor
Member # 34976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slowbowjoe   Email slowbowjoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archie, I think you have a good perspective on the issue.

I live in the sticks and it ISN'T an issue, but seeing the whole picture, and setting a good example, is always a good thing.

Posts: 1363 | From: VT | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rough Run
Contributor 2017
Member # 44566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rough Run   Email Rough Run   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sage counsel, Archie. My inclinations tend toward the "Don't Tread on Me" direction, and would possibly lead me down the road of a poor decision. If ever confronted with such a situation, I hope I have a clear voice of reason such as you have provided. Well stated.
Posts: 323 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fmscan
Contributor 2016
Member # 29411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fmscan   Email fmscan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be proactive with neighbors, bring you bow and a bottle of wine and ask them if they are comfortable with your shooting, explain you do not shoot in their direction etc.
Posts: 1221 | From: Skaneateles, NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2015
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the letter of the law and the spirit of the law are two different things. I'll continue to shoot in my backyard.
Posts: 3642 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is: most times the laws are not enforced until there is a complaint. Were my friend lives he can shoot his bow in his yard only if the target is against his own house.

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 2022 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your city has an ordinance, and you choose to shoot, you are taking the risk of getting the ticket. They won't come out and bother you unless someone complains, so if I were in your shoes, I would feel my neighbors out to see if any would care, or just go find a range to shoot at.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11671 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in an incorporated county parcel within the city limits. I've shot archery in my backyard during the 19 years we've lived here. After the ordinance was passed, I discontinued shooting in my backyard. I purchased a membership to a local archery club and drive there daily to shoot.
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never asked, so I don't really know. Nobody has ever complained, even when I took the shotgun to the fox that was taking my cats. The police have driven by a lot of times when I was shooting the bow in the yard, and they never have said anything.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4686 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakeemt   Email Jakeemt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illegal here but, I just do it anyway.
Posts: 813 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's illegal here, but I shoot in my backyard anyway. Both neighbors know I shoot in my backyard and have no problem with it, and I would imagine it's not the kind of violation the police would care about unless someone complains. What that means is that I have to be very careful to make sure that my targets are all well backstopped, and that no arrows ever go into my neighbors backyards or the street. Actually, there have been arrows that have gone into my neighbors' backyards, and they have been very nice about it, but I'm sure there is a limit to how many times that could happen before they stop being nice about it, and I don't want to find out what that limit is. So I have built up my backstops, and never shoot if they are in their backyards, hoping that will never happen again. And when the grandchildren come over, we drive out to the range to shoot. Letting the grandchildren shoot in my backyard is how the last arrow went over the fence.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4162 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
I live in an incorporated county parcel within the city limits. I've shot archery in my backyard during the 19 years we've lived here. After the ordinance was passed, I discontinued shooting in my backyard. I purchased a membership to a local archery club and drive there daily to shoot.

That an option. I live 7 miles from an indoor 3D range; the one I usually shoot on all winter.
The problem(s) with that are several:
1) Cost. $10.50/half-hour, $20.00/hr. Not gonna break me, but it does limit shooting to once a week or every couple of weeks, where I used to step out back after dinner and shoot as long as I felt like nearly every night. I could shoot different bows, change up stuff all I wanted.
2) Time. The local range closes at 8 but last sign-in is 7pm. That means rushing; I don't like to rush.
3) Distance. The 3D range is limited to 20 yards. Period.
4) Security. The range is attached to a mall (!!!) so carrying in your tackle requires a TSA-like going over, applying zip-ties to your bow case and arrows, having them removed by the sign in desk, and the same exit strategy on the way out. Like I'm gonna go banzai in a mall with a trad bow... [archer2]
Backyard shooting was more than a hobby; it was my relaxation and my "mental floss". Not sure where to take it from here.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it a long drive to some public land ? Like a game area ?
Also do you have a gun range near you ?
They usually don't mind if you shoot Bows on there pistol range . And I'm sure you would shoot black powder guns there , so you could kill two birds with one stone .

--------------------
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow. " Fred Bear
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 2205 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graps:
They usually don't mind if you shoot Bows on there pistol range . And I'm sure you would shoot black powder guns there , so you could kill two birds with one stone .

Remember, Dale..I'm from the Land O' Lincoln (rhymes with "What was I thinkin'!??")Nearest BP/outdoor archery range is 45 minutes to an hour away...in WI...$30.00 for the day. It could be done, yes. But not like stepping out the back door.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:
quote:
Originally posted by Graps:

Remember, Dale..I'm from the Land O' Lincoln (rhymes with "What was I thinkin'!??")Nearest BP/outdoor archery range is 45 minutes to an hour away...in WI...$30.00 for the day. It could be done, yes. But not like stepping out the back door.
How close to Rockford, IL are you?
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dean
Contributor 2014
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dean   Email Al Dean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here but the schools have archery out doors. I have had police in yard to tell me to stop. I told them to snap their gun in the holster if they wanted to talk to me. Yes I was a jerk to them, shame on me. I still shoot in back yard but not when people are around. My yard is 100 yards deep with tracks at back. Welcome to life.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 922 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©