JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » Shooting and municipalities (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Shooting and municipalities
V I Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for V I Archer   Email V I Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day I can't shoot in my backyard is the day my house goes up for sale.

I used to be a Bylaw Enforcement Officer. In general, most things, aside from building regulations are complaint driven. Be a good neighbour, stay safe, don't do anything foolish.

--------------------
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Posts: 626 | From: Terrace,British Columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
How close to Rockford, IL are you?

An hour and a half to 2 hours depending on traffic/time of day.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRM_95
Contributor 2017
Member # 38163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CRM_95   Email CRM_95   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot in my backyard but we don't have any ordinances against it. I have a 6' privacy fence, and I have a wooden chicken coop in front of that, and put my target in front of the chicken coop. Worst case scenario if I miss I have fried chicken for supper.
Posts: 609 | From: East TX | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you guys. It must be tough to deal with restrictions on your shooting.

I'm fortunate to live in a semi rural neighborhood. I can take a flight shot or a pee off my back porch and no one would care. I can't imagine a scenario that would get me to move any closer to town.

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1726 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would keep shooting, if anything is said just plead ignorance.
i know that's breaking the law, but you ever go over the speed limit? That's assuming that you are absolutely sure it is safe.

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1731 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TealCoin
Contributor 2017
Member # 42713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TealCoin   Email TealCoin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually shot two times in my yard. Live in a subdivision outside of town, but within city limits. I've got a 6' vinyl fence too. One day I thought, when my son is playing in the yard, would I want my neighbor shooting on the other side of that fence? Not worth the risk for me. I feel confident at 15yards, but I could never again sleep at night knowing "it was my fault" if anything ever happened to harm someone/something else.

That being said- if it's safe and you've triple checked that it is; go for it!

Posts: 246 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newhouse114
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newhouse114   Author's Homepage   Email newhouse114   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No person shall shoot or fire an arrow, dart, spear or other sharp projectile by means of a bow, crossbow or other like instrument."

If you were to interperet this litterally as written you could say that you were shooting "targets" not arrows. Just don't get caught burning broken arrows or getting any Robin Hoods!

Posts: 555 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gooserbat
2017 Contributor
Member # 10106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gooserbat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd reinforce the area of the fence with Advantech and get a large target. You already have the high fence, so keep the gate shut and keep on doing what you already are.

--------------------
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Posts: 759 | From: Illinios River, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveB
SPONSOR
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveB   Author's Homepage   Email SteveB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seen too many threads about arrows being where they shouldn't be or intended. Some in this thread. If you live where an arrow can reach a neighbor and you don't trust your shooting to have your target with your own house as the backstop, you should not be shooting there.

--------------------
http://mountainmufflerstrings.com/

Posts: 1294 | From: Central NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birddog75
Member # 8309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birddog75   Email birddog75   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure where you live in Illinois but I live in NE Illinois, Wauconda. Chain of Lakes state park has an archery range, look on their website for the information. Also Midwest Cimmarron is in Richmond and there are some awesome clubs just over the border including Big Foot archers, Waukegan bowmen, Racine Instinctive Bowmen, Kenosha Bowmen and Bucktrail archers. May not be the best solution for your issue but may be good options.
Posts: 34 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one, it's illegal.

More than that, unless you live in a place where a stray arrow can travel hundreds of yards without doing any damage...why is it even a consideration?

Anyone who has been shooting for any amount of time has had an accidental release, glanced off a target, etc. You've had arrows that wound up a long way from where they were intended to go.

You may get away with it, you may not. Is it worth possibly injuring (or worse) your neighbors dog, or cat, or kid, etc.?

Shoot inside your home (or shop if the arrow can't penetrate the walls).

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6066 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cory Mattson
Contributor 2016
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Mattson   Email Cory Mattson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my yard I only shoot at hay bales and have done so since mid 70s. Never had a wild arrow - never had an arrow bounce off - this would be a concern with a 3D target but I never shoot at them. I have never had an "accidental" release. I don't even know how that could happen with a stickbow. If kids or a pet are around I do not shoot and this occasionally happens. If I see neighbors with company I do not shoot that day. Even when I see neighbors just more active than normal in their yard I pass. This doesn't happen often. Most days though it is safe and cool to shoot and neighbors see me all the time - never a worry.

It is legal in my town - the city reformed many old laws to favor bowhunters and bowhunting about 10 years ago - field dressing and stuff in your yard. I had been shooting and hunting in the neighborhood anyway so it was good to see the town catch up to reality.

I have had zero conflict with neighbors but I guarantee it is because I shoot stickbows and in the yard I only shoot a safe lane which is "backed" by my shed. This lane is a 25 yard shot and this has probably helped a great deal in neighbors accepting. Very seldom I will shoot pine cones with a judo and never had an errant arrow.

Things have changed quickly since the compound crossbow was legalized as a bow here in NC and our town tightened up laws as soon a guy shot his buddy by accident.(that happened in another part of the state)Now to hunt you need 3 acres inside town - before there was no restriction on hunt location.

If it became illegal - and this will likely happen in the future - I would move immediately. I would not live where I could not shoot for at least a few minutes 5 days a week.

--------------------
Savana River Bow Zone - Trad Bowhunting Club

Posts: 1389 | From: Work / NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SELFBOW19953
Contributor 2016
Member # 297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SELFBOW19953   Email SELFBOW19953   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to find a new house, outside town/city/corporate limits.

--------------------
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow." Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Posts: 2502 | From: DELAWARE | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Frost
Contributor 2016
Member # 43292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Frost   Email Lady Frost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, didn't know this, but it makes sense. So far I have been lucky. My side of the duplex I live in is surrounded by an embankment with woods all around. My neighbors can't even see me, and the neighbor I have next door in our unit loves that I shoot a bow. She calls me Merida, lol.
 -

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Posts: 405 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting responses, on both edges of the spectrum.
FWIW, I have never been approached by an LEO about shooting nor issued a citation. In fact, I've shot back there since the early 90's completely oblivious to the fact it wasn't legal until I found the ruling on the books. BTW, it is also illegal for children to fly kites within 5 statute miles of our local airport. This makes me a Really Bad Man because all four of my boys flew kites at the park near my house and I aided and abetted...
There are towns where it is a violation to eat ice cream on Sundays as well. Just sayin'...

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©