Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad Events and Gatherings » S.T.A.R. Roanoke VA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: S.T.A.R. Roanoke VA
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherwood Archery Club is holding a trad event June 4 & 5, 2016. Anyone plan to attend. I have never attended a trad shoot, so am thinking about going.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 64", 51#
Paper Backed Red Oak LB 68", 37#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 172 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1oldbowguy
Contributor 2016
Member # 26890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1oldbowguy   Author's Homepage   Email 1oldbowguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man do keep asking questions. [knothead] Does anyone know if anyone will have string making material there for sale? [dunno]

--------------------
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Posts: 645 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can attend this shoot you won't be sorry-other than being tired from the hills. Great shoot, 3d,tough man,paper, warm up targets. Will try to attend myself, haven't missed one yet, if doctor clears me.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 2916 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom, it looks like a good time. I will have time I think so will have to get down there, ans visit home (Amherst) while Im there. I spent some time in Grottoes too, on my sisters friends turkey farm.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 172 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't missed one yet and with the new hip I may not do the hills but sure expect to get there and visit with folks. Each year the shoot gets better and better, these guys and gals do a fine job with giving us a heck of a shoot. Anyone who doesn't enjoy shooting better not show up here.

--------------------

Posts: 2916 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.V.T.B.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R.V.T.B.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are in the planning stages for this year's S.T.A.R. shoot, hoping to make it the best yet!

Here is a link to the S.T.A.R. shoot on our web page...
http://www.sherwoodarchersroanokeva.com/Pages/traditional.html

Posts: 601 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.V.T.B.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R.V.T.B.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to give you a heads up so you can put it on your calendar...

The 2016 S.T.A.R. shoot, Sherwood Traditional Archery Rendezvous will be held at Sherwood Archers in Roanoke, Va. on June 4 & 5. We hope to make this, our 11th S.T.A.R., our biggest and best shoot so far, as well as the most fun for our participants.

There will be a couple of changes this year. In the past our 3-D range has been competition based with prizes awarded. This year we have decided to switch it to a fun shoot format. We will still strive to set our targets in some of the most interesting terrain as well as realistic target presentation. Score cards will be available if you want to have some friendly competition with your fellow shooters. We feel this will allow us to incorporate some ideas to allow everyone to enjoy themselves more.

We will still have "A" range open but this year instead of field faces, we will have a full course of 2-D animals faces up for you to enjoy and tune your skills on.

The tough man shoot will still be a money shoot and will be placed up the hollow like it was last year and the fun range will be set up across the road again this year.

There will be a lot going on this year. The Medieval re-enactors will be back with their largest show to date. We will have a raffle bow once again as well as door prizes. the kitchen will be open both days and there is primitive camping available. As we have done the last couple of years, there will be a "yard sale" area where archery/bow hunting items can be bought, sold and traded.

I hope you put it on your calendars to come out and spend the weekend, or at least a day with us. There should be enough to keep you busy putting arrows in the air and "shooting till your fingers blister!"

Visit us at our website for more information and to view some photos from past S.T.A.R. shoots.
http://www.sherwoodarchersroanokeva.com/

See you in June,

Randy

Posts: 601 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rough Run
Contributor 2017
Member # 44566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rough Run   Email Rough Run   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello -
I have never attended a trad gathering or shoot, but would really like to. I have recently taken up the bow again after many years away, and would love to observe and listen to other traditional shooters. Is it acceptable to attend as simply a spectator? My skills are nowhere near developed enough to shoot, but I would really like to see the event. I don't want to intrude, or breach the accepted etiquette. I am only a couple of hours south, in North Carolina.

Posts: 216 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Rough Run, just spectating should be no problem as far as I know. Come on up and check it out, itll be my first time too.

Randy, will there be any fee for selling at the yardsale area?

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
USMC 2005-2010

RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Double post

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
USMC 2005-2010

Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Robert-don't be;ieve there is a fee for selling, something I will be doing also. May shoot the toughman but those hills will be bothersome to my "new" hip.
Jeff from NC, there is no better way to meet a great group of people then to go to this shoot and play with your bow. You might pick up pointers without sarcasm as we all started somewhere. Have never experienced anyone giving someone a bad time for the way they shoot. You will hear alot of laughing on the course as arrows go astray. Come and have fun-you won't regret it.

--------------------

R.V.T.B.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14671

Definitely bring your bow! You may start our the day as a spectator, but you will probably end up slinging a few arrows before the day is over. We will have enough going on to keep you busy shooting... and looking for arrows.

Make sure you are around when the medieval guys are doing their show. It is very interesting.

R.V.T.B.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14671

No, we don't charge anything for putting your stuff out at the yard sale. I always take a pile of my old stuff out there to sell and end up coming back with more than I started with.
Rough Run
Contributor 2017
Member # 44566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rough Run   Email Rough Run   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys, for the encouragement. I now have a date added to my calendar. I will be there!
Posts: 216 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.V.T.B.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14671

The S.T.A.R. shoot is less than two weeks away now!

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©