Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad Events and Gatherings » Opinions on "Archery Tag" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Opinions on "Archery Tag"
ScottV_7
Contributor 2011
Member # 16875

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ScottV_7   Email ScottV_7   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you know I help run the OxTAR shoot in Oxford, NY. A friend of mine has a contact that is looking into getting an Archery Tag franchise, and I was asked about the possibility of setting up at the OxTAR. I have mixed feelings about the game, which is basically like paintball, but with light poundage bows and padded arrows and face masks.

On one hand, if it weren't safe, there wouldn't be hundreds of franchises across the country. On the other hand it goes against what I feel is proper gun or bow safety, but I may be just getting old. So I'm posting this to ask your opinions on it before we make a decision one way or another.

--------------------
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Posts: 469 | From: Poultney, Vermont | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgroundstalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 10420

Icon 3 posted      Profile for mcgroundstalker   Email mcgroundstalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played Paintball quite a bit in my younger years... After checking out some "archery tag" links I've come to the opinion, it's a fast moving game... Not something a sixty year old (like me) would fancy...

Bring it on for the young and spunky ones! Would be great in the woods, Robin Hood style combat!

... mike ... [dunno] ...

PS... See you at OXTAR this year... [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Posts: 4123 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen threads on this topic before with heated arguments that it promotes irresponsibility with a bow and arrows.

However, I don't see anyone complaining about paint ball or even Nerf guns. And heck, it's just plain fun to hit your buddy with some sort of projectile whether it's a padded arrow, paint ball, Nerf bullet, snow ball, or dried cow pie.

Bottom line - I'm fine with it.

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3444 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ksbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ksbowman   Email ksbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a teen that was killed just this week playing "dodge arrow". No need to make youngsters think shooting an arrow at another is OK.

--------------------
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Posts: 1854 | From: Paola,kansas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same about paintball. Pointing a weapon at a human in "sport" is wrong.

What are we teaching?

Killdeer

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15439 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I feel the same about paintball. Pointing a weapon at a human in "sport" is wrong.

What are we teaching?

Killdeer

X2 [thumbsup] I also don't care for the Zombie targets some are using on the 3-D range.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15638 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with John on this one, having played tons of paintball in the past, if someone can't distinguish a game from reality they have much more serious problems to address.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1134 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCS   Email SCS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a paintball fan. I go with the attitude that pointing a gun at someone is just wrong. With that being said, I picked up info for archery tag at the outdoor show a couple of years ago. Some kids from our youth group went to Lancaster, played it and had a great time. I was sorry I missed it.

Steve

Posts: 137 | From: Carlisle, PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowmofo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowmofo   Email bowmofo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a fan of it! I spent too much time teaching safety to kids I don't want to send the wrong message!

--------------------
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Posts: 1698 | From: Burton, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crotch horn
Contributor 2016
Member # 12922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crotch horn   Email crotch horn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in favor of it either. I'm not a fan of paintball either. Rule number 1 growing up was never touch a weapon without permission & rule number 2 was never point a weapon towards anyone for any reason. We understand the difference but not everyone does. No clear right or wrong on this topic.
Posts: 1291 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do with it what you will Scott. I will not play but will not protest your shoot for allowing it.

Personally I dont think it fits and you do a great job at setting up stuff for kids both young and old alike.

You may also consider if your clubs insurance would cover such an exhibit.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16833 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hugo Guessit
Member # 45939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hugo Guessit   Email Hugo Guessit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was little I was taught never point a weapon at another person but I was also taught that a butter knife isn't a weapon to do harm with so it is polite to pass it to someone handle first but that is to keep them from getting food on their hands not for safety. I side with the "If they can't differentiate between fake and real, they have other issues than playing this game." But I also had friends growing up that played bb gun tag until someone took a bb to the mouth and his parents spent a huge amount of money at the orthodontist. So as long as caution is taken and safety is taught, it should be ok.
Posts: 1 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done and have to say that it's a lot of fun. Obviously people need to understand that they shouldn't do this with a real weapon, but I don't see any harm in shooting foam tipped arrows at each other. Anyone who comes away from playing and thinks that it's ok to play archery tag with a real bow is an idiot in my book, and would probably end up doing something stupid at some point anyways, whether archery related or not. It's just a common sense thing.

Ron W, I can't stand the zombie targets either.

Posts: 424 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessebeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Jessebeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a company come out to our youth group a few weeks ago and set it up for us to play. Obviously, we had a long talk about saftey and realization of real weapons before we played, but it was a lot of fun and made for a great night. The best thing about is a few teens interest meter pegged out and have recently contacted me about teaching them real archery. It's been a great opportunity to pass on our tradition.

--------------------
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Posts: 111 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat
Contributor 2017
Member # 8939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kat   Email kat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I am old but.....
It isn't that adult people should be able to tell reality from a game; it is the example to our youth. Being taught from an early age that you don't point any kind of a weapon at someone sticks with me, and rightfully so, in my opinion.
BTW- I don't like, and won't shoot the Zombie targets.

--------------------
Ken Thornhill

Posts: 1780 | From: wilton, n.y. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©