JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2007 » My First Traditional ELK !!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My First Traditional ELK !!!
Kooter
Member # 12203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kooter   Author's Homepage   Email Kooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My streak of 5 consecutive years of missing shots at 6-point bull elk FINALLY ended.

66lb Bob Lee T/D Recurve ~ Grizzlystix ~ 125gr Magnus

Basic Story: Morning hunt alone. Foggy, sleet, elk bugling like crazy. Just got in front of the herd and let them walk into me. 5 cows and a bigger 6-point walked by within 20 yards (6pt #1 saw me), before this guy (6pt #2) stepped into my lane at 14 yards. Arrow stuck in him to the far side ribs. He ran 150 yards and piled up for a long dirt nap. Quick photos then off to work for the day. Two friends showed up at 8:30pm with all the necessary equipment (knives, saws, childrens' sleds, tallboys) for packing him the whopping 1/2 mile out. If memory serves we had him quartered and in the truck just after midnight (tallboy #4) as the sleet turned to snow and the roads went from "Muddy as Hell" to "Holy SH!!T Gumbo". By the next morning, we had 4 inches of snow covering central Montana and I had my first elk with my recurve.

Kooter

Posts: 6 | From: Bozeman, MT | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kooter
Member # 12203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kooter   Author's Homepage   Email Kooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know how I can post my photos? HELP PLEASE! I have them posted on Photobucket and on my personal computer.
Posts: 6 | From: Bozeman, MT | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dodgethis
Member # 7355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dodgethis   Email dodgethis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, congratulations!! Sounds like a morning that was just begging to be hunted! I just posted pictures for the first time and under the main forum I looked at the 'how to resources' that had a tutorial that was very helpful. If you already have tried that, then perhaps you could elaborate on your difficulties a little more and I am sure somebody would be willing to lend a word or two of advice.

--------------------
I believe we choose the stick and string because extreme efforts and obstacles can and should be used to raise personal achievements to new heights and deeper meanings.

Posts: 24 | From: Friendswood, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawika b
Contributor 2016
Member # 8024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawika b   Email kawika b   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats bro,,, and with a little searchin here ya go!  -

--------------------
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2388 | From: maui | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawika b
Contributor 2016
Member # 8024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawika b   Email kawika b   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 - and the other pic.

--------------------
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2388 | From: maui | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kooter
Member # 12203

Kawika B - Thank You VERY much !!!!!!!!! I really appreciate you posting the photos for me.

Enjoy the photos. If any of you find yourselves in SW Montana, let me know.

BigRonHuntAlot
Contributor 2007
Member # 8731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigRonHuntAlot   Email BigRonHuntAlot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET and Congrats [thumbsup]

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Posts: 4499 | From: Jetersville, Amelia County Central Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomh
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomh   Author's Homepage   Email tomh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story and congrats. Nice elk!
Posts: 475 | From: Montana | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nontypical
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nontypical   Email nontypical   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS [thumbsup]

PETE

--------------------
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Posts: 750 | From: Roaming the Wilds of NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angus   Email Angus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, Kooter, great elk! Breathe the wind; drink the rain, bro!

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate member
Wenatchi River Traditional Archers

Posts: 345 | From: Leavenworth, WA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnointedArcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnointedArcher   Author's Homepage   Email AnointedArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a dandy for sure, well done [thumbsup]

--------------------
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Posts: 2316 | From: Greenville,Michigan | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirty Bill
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirty Bill   Email Dirty Bill       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job.I've been on 4 elk hunts,and nevergot at shot at anything...except a snow shoe hare that I spotted hiding in the brush,it was easy to pack out.. [campfire]
Posts: 601 | From: wv | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbowben
Contributor 2015
Member # 13980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbowben   Email longbowben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats kooter [thumbsup]

--------------------
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Posts: 3262 | From: Bethesda ohio | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allanburden
Contributor 2017
Member # 12080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allanburden   Email allanburden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

--------------------
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Posts: 507 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flatstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatstick   Email Flatstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Looks like it was worth the wait [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Posts: 1064 | From: West Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©