JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Disappointed in the jamboree (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Disappointed in the jamboree
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I write this, my wife is dogging me for doing so.
First of all I am ashamed and embarassed that I didn't help out in any way. My fault on this as I or anyone has something to offer.
O-k it could have been a lot better. Only one vender? No bowyers from the state of Michigan where modern traditional archery was practcally invented? Couldn't we find one celebrety from our state?
My wife is still dogging me. She said I should have stayed for the MTB meeting and stepped up to the plate and volunteered for a board postion.
We need to have a few more events for next year. What happened to the canoe shoot? What happened to the pig roast?
Also I think my membership is expired and I need to renew it. I'll send it in. If anyone wants to contact me my ph# is (616)530-7212
My wife is still dogging me

Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2017
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed myself, but I understand what your saying. I remeber when it was a bustling event, but the weekend following one of the biggest shoots in the country (in the same state) spells bad news. When Compton got rolling Grayling started suffering. Not sure what can be done short of picking new dates.
Posts: 3657 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes a TON of work to keep a shoot alive and healthy. If it "just happens" each year at the same time it can decay fast. I attended MTB a few years in a row around 2010-2011, but haven't been back since. I volunteer my time for the Pine River shoot and I'm just one of 25-30 people who chip in, make calls, line up vendors, line up food sources, set targets, hang flyers, spread the word, think of new activities and attractions, prep the camp grounds, disperse garbage cans and so on. I think when a shoot is at a remote location and ALL the stuff has to be hauled, you lose out a bit. Having storage on-site helps immensely and allows for work to be done weeks in advance. I wouldn't blame MTB's decay on Compton. GLLI directly follows Elm Hall and we still bring in hundreds and hundreds of folks. Think outside the box, refresh the staff and try again in 2017. I don't know what the camp area looks like anymore, but I would start there. Food would be second.
Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know about the compton shoot. Changeing the date would be a great idea. Some people choose events based on how close one of them is to there home. I think we could have had events where we could have had prizes such as the long shot to the target (100 yards) and the closest to the bulls eye wins that target. Or the bionic deer (target made of steel with the vitals cut out.) Or the aligator by the pond. I would have donated a couple of targets to win. I know it's a little late to say this now but you can count on me for next year.
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DBGJR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DBGJR   Email DBGJR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keith(canoe shoot dude) had surgery on friday and i did not find out until saturday. The canoe shoot will be back for next year.There hasen't been a hog roast since 95 or 96 bears bowmen did that not MTB.Everyone who hits the long range target gets a ticket put in a bucket and the winner is drawn on sunday at noon and wins the target.We have been trying to get new board members aand this year 2 new ones stepped up so we now have 7 board members.We are always looking for new ideas and if you have any contact a board member or post ideas on here.We quit charging for vendors hoping that would encourage more to come but hasan't worked.I would like to thank Larry from lost nation for his continuing support.
Posts: 206 | From: sparta mi | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This shoot has been going along for 27 years I believe and 22 of those years at Grayling on the same weekend all those years. I understand we had a couple hundred shooters. And from what I am hearing most had a good time.

We have the best hand painted 2 D targets in the state, most of our 3 D targets are new or newer, we had an arial shoot, kids shoot, coon shoot, long distant target challenge and we give that new 3 D target away, Saturday night blanket sales and a Saturday afternoon 21 arrow salute to our fallen member Dave McKeller.

This shoot is a low key family oriented shoot with not much partying.

Chris, the camping area has been cleaned up quite a bit and they have one of those fancy frizbee courses in it now which is closed the weekend of the shoot. Some folks don't know but Hansen Hills is owned by the government (the military) and is leased out for a small fee to Hanson Hills and under government regulation. The targets are no longer stored on the property but in a storage unit few miles away.

Posts: 2894 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O
Contributor 2017
Member # 503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O   Email Steve O   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MTB shoot does not need to be Compton. I don't even take my bow to Compton any more; just visit friends, and was not able to that this year either. MTB is a wonderful place to shoot. If Larry is there, that is plenty of vendors! What more could one need.

And PLEASE, don't go recruiting "celebrities"!

I've got a couple more years of dozens of graduation parties to go to, but hopefully the Jamboree will still be going strong and I can make it a priority to be there and help set up and take down.

Thanks MTB Council for the thankless work you do [Not Worthy]

Looking forward to the Banquet.

Posts: 6167 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, I wasn't dogging the shoot. Just trying to toss ideas out there that I know most shoot attendees look for. Good camping and some good food.

Jon I hadn't seen the camp area in years. Last time I was there it was a bit rough, but also freshly logged. Glad to hear its coming around.

Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So step up, posting a thread whining isn't going to do anything...you're wife is right put up or shut up.

MTB has two courses, food onsite, camping onsite, aerials, a long distance shoot, and a canoe shoot (which was absent one year),raffles, and mtb merchandise. Not mention it's held in a great town!

If you need more stuff than Larry has, more than likely you'll go online and order it. Or there is Jay's in Gaylord/Clare depending on which way you come. If you want to go on a "shopping trip" go to 3rivers.

Every shoot in MI is unique, and that's what makes them fun.

Sorry if this appears harsh, but stop complaining, there is a ton of trad bow stuff to do in this state..so either help out or just take each shoot for what they are and enjoy them!

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 2000 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tajue17
Contributor 2017
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
This shoot has been going along for 27 years I believe and 22 of those years at Grayling on the same weekend all those years. I understand we had a couple hundred shooters. And from what I am hearing most had a good time.

We have the best hand painted 2 D targets in the state, most of our 3 D targets are new or newer, we had an arial shoot, kids shoot, coon shoot, long distant target challenge and we give that new 3 D target away, Saturday night blanket sales and a Saturday afternoon 21 arrow salute to our fallen member Dave McKeller.

This shoot is a low key family oriented shoot with not much partying.

Chris, the camping area has been cleaned up quite a bit and they have one of those fancy frizbee courses in it now which is closed the weekend of the shoot. Some folks don't know but Hansen Hills is owned by the government (the military) and is leased out for a small fee to Hanson Hills and under government regulation. The targets are no longer stored on the property but in a storage unit few miles away.

this sounds like a fun shoot,, I'd drive to Michigan to attend the next one.. but I want to shoot till my arms might fall off so if you have those ranges where you can just keep going out thats a huge bonus!

--------------------
"Us vs Them"

Posts: 3111 | From: Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can shoot until you can't shoot anymore or at least until 1:00pm on Sunday which ever comes first.

You drive over from Mass and I will get you a club shirt as a small thank you.

This is a good, low key shoot that is pretty well attended where there is a nice area for kids to shoot, free camping, lake, river or state park not too far to get cleaned up.

Chris the camping area is almost free of piles of brush. They asked that we burn it up if we could and we tried in our area.

Posts: 2894 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Frost
Contributor 2016
Member # 43292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Frost   Email Lady Frost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know last year when I attended I spoke to one of the MTB board member's wives and she said that you guys were having trouble getting people to volunteer. Hearing that made me sad, I live in GA otherwise I would help, I don't see what I could do from so far away. I have some ideas. Last year I had a GREAT time, the 13 hour trip was worth it. I am still sorry I missed it this year, I was looking forward to trying the canoe shoot. Maybe next year. If yall think I could help somehow, just let me know.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Posts: 409 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Drew, you should read my post completely before you shoot your mouth off. Or can't you read. Maybe you can read, just not out loud.She (my wife) wasn't as hard on me as I was. My expectations of the shoot was higher than what was there. Right now I'm saying MTB can count on me for the next get together. I know there is always the faithfull few that does the work. I know there is always a lot of behind the scene work. And yes I am putting up. As far a the celebrity idea goes it was an idea, just not a good one. Also my main reason for attending was to honer Dave McKeller. I'll be at the next MTB gathering.
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see your stepping up, we all look forward to seeing what you bring to the MTB, it's a great organization and the Jamboree always has been and always will be a great shoot!

I wouldn't concern yourself with my reading ability and comprehension, because I'm surely not concerned about your skin thickness. Besides if "shooting my mouth off" ruffles some feathers, and motives people to help out...I'll gladly do it more often!

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 2000 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Typical Sparty grad......can't read-can't comprehend, here's your degree!

Go Blue!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©