JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Dan Quillian » Anybody have any Dan Quillian photos? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anybody have any Dan Quillian photos?
HATCHCHASER
Contributor 2010
Member # 13016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HATCHCHASER   Author's Homepage   Email HATCHCHASER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had the pleasure of meeting Dan. Archery Traditions, Dan's old archery shop in Athens, GA, was just up the road from where I lived. The individual that owns it now worked for Dan at one time. I heard alot of stories from him. That is where I would go to pick up some items. They have a little trad stuff left but mostly compound stuff. That Bear is mounted standing in the corner. It is supposed to be that same bear, not sure.

Dan was a driving force for getting bowhunting going in GA. They say he would go to various places where gun hunters were present and challenge them to shoot their 30/06 through a milk jug filled with sand. When the bullet wouldn't go through he would politely put a heavy wood shaft through the jug. I never saw it but that was the story in a nutshell.

--------------------
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Posts: 1706 | From: Back in North GA FOREVER | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joel smith
SPONSOR
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joel smith   Author's Homepage   Email joel smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Dan hollered at me up at the bowhunting trade show the year he lost that leg---walked over and pulled up his pant leg and said "check out my new bow limb" and it did look just like a fibreglass lamininated bow limb---being Dan, it might have been.

I've got some pictures round here of Dan from some of the old original Howard Hill shoots. When i can find them i'll try to post them here.

--------------------
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Posts: 3135 | From: zebulon, georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mickeys4
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mickeys4   Email mickeys4   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bowferd I still have the tape.I'll check with my son see if he can transfer the VHS to DVD.If so I'll send you a copy.It'll be awhile,he's away in college.

--------------------
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Posts: 161 | From: Westfield,NC | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
straitera
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straitera   Email straitera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Called his shop one day about ordering & bow particulars not expecting to talk directly w/Dan. We talked nearly 2 hours like we were related. He talked of research w/ff & hybrid designs with chronos of 215fps! He told me about taking his bear & his bad foot and how he couldn't get around much anymore. I thanked him for his credibility and contributions to archery. He died a few short months later.

Dan made me feel important enough to talk to. I'd bet he did the same with most everybody that gave him the chance. That's special. I won't forget.

--------------------
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Posts: 4639 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe skipp, Dan was shooting a Longhunter around 70# when he shot the grizzly. His arrows were 30", I think. He wouldn't have hunted grizzly with low poundage. If it was after a heart attack, he was well recovered from it.

Joel, that artificial leg WAS a bow limb, built for him by Owen Jeffrey. He had a foot made for it that looked like a bird or dinosaur foot with long toes, that he designed to have some spring in it for walking in the woods. Can you imagine the tracks he left? [Smile]

Hatchaser, the grizzly was mounted standing, on a platform that had a dead salmon in the edge of a stream made into the base, all in plastic. Since a grizzly bear's claws are very valuable, the claws in the mount were replaced with artificial ones. Dan had the real claws made into a necklace by a Native American friend, in the traditional fashion.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HATCHCHASER
Contributor 2010
Member # 13016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HATCHCHASER   Author's Homepage   Email HATCHCHASER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup Don that's it. It is sitting at archery traditions in Athens, GA. Next time I get over there I'll try and get a pic.

--------------------
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Posts: 1706 | From: Back in North GA FOREVER | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mickeys4
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mickeys4   Email mickeys4   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few I scanned from Dan's pricelist from 1990-91-92.Not the greatest images.  -  -  -

--------------------
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Posts: 161 | From: Westfield,NC | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepingbear
Member # 21267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleepingbear   Author's Homepage   Email sleepingbear   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, I think it was the IBO World Championships in Alabama, I walked by a man that said he wanted me to shoot his recurve. He told me that if I shot the bow I would want it. It was one of the quietest, smoothest shooting bows I ever held. Unfortunately I could not afford the bow at the time. I took a brochure from the man, who was Dan Quillian, and never did place an order. I still have his brochure. One of the regrets in life.
Posts: 65 | From: connecticut | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greyfox54
2017 Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greyfox54   Email Greyfox54   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Pics , I have 4 of Dan's bows and had a few more I wish I never traded .That's right Don , I talked with Dan after his Grizzly hunt and he said the bow he used was 69# . One of my favorites is a Patriot takedown . I have always said his bows are highly underated .
Fred

--------------------
Greyfox54

Posts: 1539 | From: Central Jersey | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humming
Member # 7166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan was a great guy,and when he told you something it was not just his opinion it was something he had tested really miss not seeing him.He was a big guy,but he never had a big head.
Posts: 23 | From: NC | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©