Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Soured Corn for hogs? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Soured Corn for hogs?
Spinealigner
Contributor 2017
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spinealigner   Email Spinealigner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diesel fuel works especially if you are targeting only hogs. The deer will stay away.
Posts: 151 | From: NC | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2015
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 2 weeks ago I put20 pounds of corn in a 5 gallon bucket with 6 old beers, 2 cut up apples, and topped it off with well water.

It smells really RIPE right now! I figure the pigs in our area will hit it within 24 hours when I decide to put it out.

Happy Hunting!

Posts: 3642 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Orton
Contributor 2009
Member # 7480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Orton   Email Mike Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dig a 5 gallon bucket sized hole, pour in the corn, throw a couple beers into the corn, cover the whole mess up with 4-5 inches of dirt, sit back and enjoy the fighting......

--------------------
White, Straight, Republican, Male.
How else can I piss you off Today?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 921 | From: Southern California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Piratkey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piratkey   Email Piratkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What we do in France for attract hogs is ,put some tar on trees( from the bottom to 3 foots hight)(you can find tar in the horses shop)usually on each place use 2 trees but not too close than the place where you feed(around 50 or 100 feets)because this take away doe for few times.For feeding hogs I use corn with some truffe extract on,this is work very well,put the corn directly on land,use 4 pounds of corn,but the most important maybe is the water,choise a place where you can find water,if in you place you dont have water,make a hole,put a stong plastic sheet on the bottom and add water,this keep hogs near this place.Remenber you, that the day where you whant hunting hogs,try to not walk to much on the place,hogs have a very poor view but have a very very good sence of smell.
Regards

Posts: 329 | From: Lege-Cap Ferret FRANCE | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rattus58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rattus58   Author's Homepage   Email Rattus58   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piratkey:
What we do in France for attract hogs is ,put some tar on trees( from the bottom to 3 foots hight)(you can find tar in the horses shop)usually on each place use 2 trees but not too close than the place where you feed(around 50 or 100 feets)because this take away doe for few times.For feeding hogs I use corn with some truffe extract on,this is work very well,put the corn directly on land,use 4 pounds of corn,but the most important maybe is the water,choise a place where you can find water,if in you place you dont have water,make a hole,put a stong plastic sheet on the bottom and add water,this keep hogs near this place.Remenber you, that the day where you whant hunting hogs,try to not walk to much on the place,hogs have a very poor view but have a very very good sence of smell.
Regards

I'm not sure that hogs have universally bad eyesight. I think it matters as to the environment. I think in the forest, where they don't have to see great distance, they focus only where they have to... like for truffles.

However, when hunted in the plain or on the ranches here, when they saw you coming from a distance, even great distance of several hundred yards, they were off at a dead run, and so that experience has led me to believe that their eyesight is somewhat driven by the environment they find themselves.

I think that they hear pretty good too, but their nose is every bit as you say...

Much Aloha.. [Cool]

Posts: 148 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchy   Email Frenchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, boars love to rub themselves on pine trees (the resin kills the parasites)
Tar works pretty well too.
Quietness is the golden rule to keep them on a spot.

Posts: 145 | From: France. 300 kilometers east of Paris | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swinestalker
Conributor 2015
Member # 28909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swinestalker   Email Swinestalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X2 on the diesel, other animals won't fool with it. Doesen't take alot of diesel by the way.

--------------------
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Posts: 652 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El gran J
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El gran J   Email El gran J       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 3 liter bottle with corn, a little bit of flat soda maybe, or something sweet and fill it with water and cap it for a few weeks. When it's good and smelly, tie it to a tree, T-post, or just bury it up to the neck. without the cap. They'll come around and start batting it about trying to get the corn out. Cutting a few holes in it helps too.

--------------------
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Posts: 103 | From: TX | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a good run on the catfish, I dump a 5 gal bucket of heads and guts out, keeps them comming like flies.

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 1987 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWD   Email BWD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]I'm not sure that hogs have universally bad eyesight. I think it matters as to the environment. I think in the forest, where they don't have to see great distance, they focus only where they have to... like for truffles.

However, when hunted in the plain or on the ranches here, when they saw you coming from a distance, even great distance of several hundred yards, they were off at a dead run, and so that experience has led me to believe that their eyesight is somewhat driven by the environment they find themselves.

I think that they hear pretty good too, but their nose is every bit as you say...

Much Aloha.. [Cool] [/QB][/QUOTE]

I've always heard they don't see very well until they see ya. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Posts: 1864 | From: Macon, Ga. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys that use diesel fuel must not eat the hog meat?

I wouldn't want anything I was eating to be ingesting diesel fuel...

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8805 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Turner
Contributor 2017
Member # 2264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Turner   Email Bill Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to ride with Ray on this one. Like my pork sweet.
Posts: 3908 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric O'Shay
Contributor 2016
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric O'Shay   Email Ric O'Shay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diesel fuel, hummm. Just shoot 'em and light a match to 'em. Have your pork roast right in the field. [dntthnk]

--------------------
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 2916 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marshratTC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marshratTC   Email marshratTC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sour the corn with water and the cheapest beer I can find in a five gallon bucket. Add in Kool Aid and any fruit that I can find. Seal up the bucket, and usually when the top begins to bulge out (2-3 weeks), it was ready. I just poured mine on the ground because I wasn't going to put that stuff anywhere near my feeder, but I did have the luxury of hunting them away from my spot. Good luck, and kill 'em all.
Posts: 103 | From: OK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marshratTC:
Sour the corn with water and the cheapest beer I can find in a five gallon bucket. Add in Kool Aid and any fruit that I can find. Seal up the bucket, and usually when the top begins to bulge out (2-3 weeks), it was ready. I just poured mine on the ground because I wasn't going to put that stuff anywhere near my feeder, but I did have the luxury of hunting them away from my spot. Good luck, and kill 'em all.

X2! Once they get a taste of the "spirits" they enjoy getting buzzed on it and cannot help themselves to return.

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4253 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©