Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Soured Corn for hogs? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Soured Corn for hogs?
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody tried putting out a Keg with a nipple on it! [laughing]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Posts: 2199 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benjy:
Has anybody tried putting out a Keg with a nipple on it! [laughing]

That would work too.

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4207 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet even I could sneek up on an intoxicated hog!

I may have to put a bucket in a hole and put a six pack in to see what happens! That could be interesting. I think I'll try it this weekend!

Benjy

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2199 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might catch a Mike Vines wollowing around in it if your real quiet.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5307 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Mike, I hope you're not going to be in SC this weekend!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

jcar315
Contributor 2017
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting guys.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant. Made the switch to LH shooting and it was THE best thing I ever did.....YMMV

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5258 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RM81
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RM81   Email RM81   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
Might catch a Mike Vines wollowing around in it if your real quiet.

[biglaugh]

I was thinking the same thing. If you guys leave out a bunch of free beer, I'd probably show up too.

Posts: 1360 | From: London, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow safari
Member # 35869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow safari   Email longbow safari   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try grape koolaid with the sugar already in it just pout it in your corn or pour it around the corn. i have had good luck with sow in heat scent,,,,,only for big boars though. if you want meat hogs , sows just stick to the soured corn and koolaid with the sugar already mixed in.

--------------------
Bob Lee Elite 64" 60 @ 28
Bob Lee Classic 62" 60 @ 28

Posts: 40 | From: LA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rn
Member # 7605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rn   Author's Homepage   Email rn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sour corn with left over fish trimmings and used cooking oil poured in with all. Keeps the deer away and the oil keeps the hogs coming back even after all the other has been eaten up. I have tried the cool aid and seem to have a more immediate response with the fish trimmings and used cooking oil.
Posts: 9 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PowDuck
Contributor 2014
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PowDuck   Email PowDuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had heard about the diesel fuel before. Will it keep raccoons off, too? We have a problem in our hog traps of the raccoons eating the corn before the hogs show up.

--------------------
Romans 8:28

Posts: 1066 | From: Texarkana, TX/AR | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
187BOWHUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 187BOWHUNTER   Email 187BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Gold hog attractant, they cant keep away from it
Posts: 218 | From: Blacktail country | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marshratTC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marshratTC   Email marshratTC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by swampdrummer:
I sometimes take 20 pounds of corn and put it in a trash can. Fill with enough water to cover the corn and dump a couple of cheap beers in there. Let it sit covered in the sun for a couple of weeks then take it out to the woods.
Use post hole diggers to make several holes and dump the corn in and cover it back up with 2 or 3 inches of dirt. Almost a garuntee of having pigs on it in 24 hours if they are in the area.
Good luck!

This plus grape Kool Aid powder and any fruit that I can find that will help it ferment.
Posts: 103 | From: OK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
187BOWHUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 187BOWHUNTER   Email 187BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
black gold works like magic
Posts: 218 | From: Blacktail country | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michael9793
Member # 37904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michael9793   Email michael9793   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use plan corn in my feeder and the day I shoot I put down some pig man gel stuff in the bottle to keep them there longer. It works because my cameras tell me that the 100lb pigs are there every morning and evening. At least 10 to 15 pigs. But when the feeder is dry good by pigs. So keep the feeder going.
Good luck. I use a home made Howard hill bow 68" @ 45# using gold tip 1535 .600 spine and swicky 125 grain 2 blade.

Posts: 8 | From: f | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Txnrog   Email Txnrog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to get really fancy, take a 3-4 foot section of 6-8inch metal pipe. Weld on a cap on one end with a section of chain, and use a threaded cap on the other. Drill with some 3/4inch holes sporatically - not swiss cheese, but say one every 6 inches randomly around the pipe. Fill it with your sour corn - earlier recipies work fine, grape koolaid is a favorite additive for me. Screw on the end cap and secure the chain to a tree or t-post.

PVC will work for a while if you want to test it out, but they will destroy it eventually.

We've used them in Texas - a lot of fun for night hunting in particular - you will definately know when they come in. Esp fun if you have a spot near camp that you stalk in to in the dark - you can hear it from quite a ways away.

Posts: 136 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©