Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Waterbuffalo Setup Advice (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Waterbuffalo Setup Advice
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pdk25:
Laurent, where did you order those? I don't know anything about A4 steel. Are they much better than standard steel inserts? If the inserts hold up, those would be awesome.

Those were made by a friend working in tool building. Very strong. If you add external footing it´s really impressive the punishment you must give to brake a shaft. Using titanium same insert will be much lighter in the 110 gr plus you can cut it down if needed.
I am sure a company like VPA could build very easily those insert, solid steel or titanium for a fair price, as there is no threads nor complicate shape. I can't understand why there is so strongly designed and we'll made broadheds glued on so poor brass ou aluminum inserts

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 538 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Txnrog   Email Txnrog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mick, What's the outside diameter of those arrows? and weight - i.e. can I tune an arrow over here to those things and put them on once I get over?

Looking forward to it. Working on putting together a heavier setup, and hitting the rubber bands nightly.

Posts: 136 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Baker
Member # 6311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Baker   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mate will send you an e-mail. Cheers

--------------------
www.trophybowhunts.net

Posts: 72 | From: Townsville Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hybridbow hunter:
You can ask for custom A4 steel insert as infernal footing. Mine are 200 gr, HIT size and goes perfectly in tuffheads. I could cut the tail a tad to go down to 150 gr
It Is really tough.

-

good for extra weight upfront but no strength gains over a standard screw in adapter since the shank on those are the same diameter as a screw in adapter straight off the back of the taper, which is the likely failure point along with the back of the footing.

better go and take pics of my supadapters............

--------------------
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Posts: 2360 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is what i've come up with. this is a prototype. i plan on getting a batch machined up soon. they will have glue glrooves added. the prototypes were hand machined so it wasn't necessary to add glue grooves at that stage.

they are designed for use with tuffheads. they have a taper slightly larger than 23/64" (little bit bigger than the 23/64" ferrule of the tuffhead) then step down to match an axis shaft's outside diameter. this maximises strength at the back of the BH. then it steps down to HIT insert diameter. the last portion is able to be trimmed if weight needs to be brought down. they are machined from high tensile steel.

-

-

-

-

in my oppinion you want the rear of the footing to be behind the balance point of the arrow. this way the center of mass has NO leverage on that point. the rear of the footing is being dragged into the beast. this is why i have a 6.75" outside footing. this serves the purpose of adding weight, strengthening and stiffening the shaft since i have 730gr upfront out of a 70# border black douglas. even on a full length shaft the flexible portion is around 25" long. basically a 25" arrow with an 8" point. then you can still trim as normal.

--------------------
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Posts: 2360 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2017
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is true unless it is a different type of steel than is used in the standard inserts.
Posts: 5529 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2017
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess those other posts/pics made it up before I made my reply. Interesting setup, Clint. Let us know how it works out for you.
Posts: 5529 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clint, standard adaptaters flex upon hard impact because metal used is soft. With those type of hard steel insert it never happens and when an external alum footing is used along it is extremely strong,arrow is virtually unbreakable for several shots, at least against plain concrete with a low 60+# @31+" Border hex6 bb2 bow like yours, as I couldn't get a shot to buff at this time [Frown]
The set up you show is interesting though but very heavy point !!

--------------------

Posts: 538 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muz1970
Member # 40977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muz1970   Email Muz1970   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Txnrog, I'm curious if you've settled on a arrow set up for your Buff trip. I'm in exactly the same vote as you. With the same poundage longbow and draw and I've got a 5 week trip planned in Sept/Oct chasing Boars and Buff.

I've been tuning full length Goldtip Traditional shafts in 75/95(300). I'm using the Outback 220 FE broadheads, 100gn brass insert, 3 x 50gn weights and 5" of 2213 footing for 520grains up front. This gives me 26.5% FOC and 910gn total weight.

Adjusting the length of the footing once I got the weight up front I wanted was the only way I could tune the spine. Due to the fact that I cannot shorten the 32" arrow length.

I really like the idea / concept of Ozy Clints super adaptors. It would also give you the opportunity to shorten your arrows if required for tuning.

Cheers Muz

Posts: 2 | From: Western, Australia | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Txnrog   Email Txnrog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still working on it. Just got a pair of 66# A&H limbs and a riser and was at the shop last night playing with it. Getting pretty good performance out of it.

Got Gold Tip Kenetic 200's shooting well with it and 300gr heads. I am also ordering some Easton FMJ big game 250's to play with - I like those slick narrow shafts.

I really like the insert on the Gold tip's but they are aluminum (they also fit the Easton FMJ's) - talking to a guy about having some similar machined with steel and an extended length to act as an internal footing, Then going with an external aluminum footing.

I want the FMJ's but with their gpi weight, think I am ultimately going to have to go with the lighter, stiffer gold tips to get the FOC without creating lawn darts in the process.

Shooting for 800gr or so, but we'll see what works- my 915 gr CX 350's dropped about 2 ft @ 15yrds compared to the 720 +/- Goldtip 200's - which zipped out quicker than my deer/elk setups.

Muz - good to know that 5" of footing can have that big an impact on spine.

Posts: 136 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muz1970
Member # 40977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muz1970   Email Muz1970   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that for every inch of footing I could add approximately 50 grains in point weight. The 300's bare shafted at 250 grains with out a footing. I can also shoot them at 400 grains with 3" of footing. And like I said they shoot great at 520 grains with 5".
The extra penetration from the 910 grains verses the 780 grain arrow shot into the end of a tight bale of hay is sum 4-6". I've only shot them out to 15 yards but are spot on. Now I have to make a matched field point set to practice with.
Not that it matters but I'm curious to find out the arrow speed out of my bow at that weight. Will hopefully borrow a mates chrono.

Posts: 2 | From: Western, Australia | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Googleing a bit you can find in USA strong steel custom insert not that pricey:

http://traditionalarcherysolutions.bubbaspc.com/traditionalarcherysolutions/shopping.asp

--------------------

hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Double post

--------------------

Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

quote:
Originally posted by hybridbow hunter:
Googleing a bit you can find in USA strong steel custom insert not that pricey:

http://traditionalarcherysolutions.bubbaspc.com/traditionalarcherysolutions/shopping.asp

Just placed an order - eyeing getting something like Ozzy Clint's made as well.
ozy clint
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15776

i would sell them but i think it would be too niche a market. mine work for my choice of BH and shaft. change either and the dimensions of the adapter might not be optimal for different shafts or heads. i wanted the best i could get for my setup. to have a more universal adapter will mean comprimises.

even spine differences between axis shafts means the 1st step needs to be a different diameter to suit the OD of the shaft.

it's something that needs to be custom made.

impossible to come up with a totally universal one while having the most optimised design for any given combo of BH and shaft.
what's the point of going to the trouble of making bombproof buff arrows if it isn't the best design possible.

--------------------
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©