Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Waterbuffalo Setup Advice (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Waterbuffalo Setup Advice
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Txnrog   Email Txnrog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am not totally set yet, but probably pretty darn close.

Goldtip Kenetic 200's (.200 spine)
100 gr insert
250 gr head
7 inches of xx75 2016 footing

dummied up the insert with screw in weights to practice while I have some steel ones made - half-in-half out screw ins. I really like the idea of a screw in since it gives me some optionality and is a bit easier to travel with.

A tad over 800gr total weight.

Would like to be at 300gr on the broadhead, giving 850gr total weight, but I'm a tad weak with those, and the 250's fly like darts. Could always go a tad longer on the footing, but that feels like overkill to me. Pretty decent selection of broadheads at 250 as well (abowyer, VPA, etc.)

Posts: 136 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which bow are you shooting that out of? that's an amazingly stiff arrow, .200 with 7" footing.

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Posts: 2289 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Txnrog   Email Txnrog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
66lb A&H ACS but I am probably getting more like 70lbs out of it at my draw length.

Correction xx75 2013 footing

Posts: 136 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanto
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanto   Email Fanto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read Ashby? He is the no.1 authority on these matters.

His internal footing is a 7" long 1/4" Ida dowel, sanded down a little from the middle back, glued in behind the insert and only glued the first 3.5"

Posts: 252 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calgarychef
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Clint that arrow is darned stiff, if you're determined to use them I'd shorten the footing and go with more upfront weight. I've got 63# ACS and shoot 350 carbon heritage express, 100 gr. inserts, 350 gr heads (I think, it's been awhile and I'd have to weigh them to be sure) and footings are about 1 1/2"

Have you bare shafted them and tested your groups? Don't forget that arrow flight trumps everything, and an arrow that looks like its flying nicely might not be striking nicely.

Posts: 1237 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Bare shafted them before even putting feathers on and building a full set. Fly like darts - if I put a 300 gr head on them, they fly weak. I was surprised too, but it is what it is. I am drawing to 30in, so it definately adds a bit of oomph behind them.

Grouping is so-so, but I am still working myself into the bow. Group fine when I do my part. The A&H shoots to the right on me, but I understand that's a common problem since they are more center cut than most.

I am getting 170fps or so, actually want to get the arrow weight up a bit, but think it'd require me to extend the footing even moreso to do it.

calgarychef
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you shoot some with feathers and some bare at the same time? Or all bare? If you're shooting to the right something is haywire, an ACS should definitely shoot where its looking unless you've been shooting bows with no or minimal cutout. Do you mind my asking how tall you are?
Posts: 1237 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sort of total arrow weight are you running with that set up Clint?

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2222 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Tracey, I'm still coming to CA in June mate !

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2222 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they are around 1075gr at the moment. Yet to finish tuning.

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Posts: 2289 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Calgary - I have actually been practicing with 5 feathered and one bare since i first tuned them and they all shoot the same. I had not shot an A&H before this so it is a bit of an adjustment - tend to shoot straight handled pronghorn-type longbows and recurves well.

I left one bare so I could watch if my form is faltering with the additional weight of the bow. Currently without fail, I start out about 3-6 inches right and work myself back in. I am about 6ft, have a pretty deep anchor, but had someone work with me early on and that's where it settled.

Ozzy - You think I will gain any significant performance/penetration with another 100gr or so?

ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

with my the bob lee i used which was 69#@28" (i draw 26") i found the point of diminishing returns for momentum was about 1000gr. That's 15gr/# at my draw. With your setup being 800gr out of a 70# at your draw high efficiency longbow, yes in my opinion you have gains that you can make with a heavier arrow. It has to be balanced with a trajectory that you are happy with. You can get away with a loopy arc with buff as they are big and you can usually get close. Remember structural integrity trumps even accuracy with buff. Perfect shot is no good if it breaks on the ribs. This i know! Hence my new design of buff arrow for my next hunt.

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

ozzyshane
Contributor 2016
Member # 24003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozzyshane   Email ozzyshane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Txnrog i draw the same as you but a lot less weight and even with lite weight i need a lot of spine the guys with short DLs have a lot more shafts to work with.
Have you tryed to build out the riser a bit i would say you are still under spined a bit that is why when you start shooting you go to the right(a strong shot) but after a few you hit middle that is i bet when you get a bit tired you may be short drawing a bit.
Thanks Shane

Posts: 248 | From: australia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txnrog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23341

Thanks Shane - that makes sense. I am getting a bad rub on the outside (left) edge of the shelf. To the point that all the the felt is gone, and I haven't had the bow that long. This makes me think I may be a bit weak still. It also seems to be shooting better the times I know I am short drawing a bit - i.e. when I get fully into my back muscles and pull through - high left every time. Short stroke ir a bit and right where I want to be.

Battling a bit with trying to tune and get used to the weight at the same time.

Getting closer to 'comfortable' with it, but still not as consistent as I know I can shoot.

I may be able to get away with shortening the arrow by about an inch - been going with full lengths so far @ 32 in. I would really like to get a little more weight in these arrows and trying to figure out how to stiffen them even more. May play with the footing a bit more, though it already feels long and hasn't stiffened it like I would think it should.

halfseminole
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for halfseminole   Email halfseminole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just something to pass along to you guys-you seem to be rediscovering Asian pointing, especially such as Turkish arrows had. Many had internal tangs of 6" or more, the tang could be cut to tune an arrow, and with a horn cushion behind the point and a bone collar on the cane behind it, those arrows have been proven to kill a cinder block. There's lots of experimentation that's been done, a lookup of the free e-book Saracen Archery will tell you lots about how their integral head/footing worked.

I shoot whenever I can with heads like that, and I'm finally dropping the coin to try and make them, but mine won't probably be ready for a long time. My point is, with their tuning and durability advantages, I prefer that type of point over anything else. If it worked for fully armored humans, it might help you guys, too.

Posts: 968 | From: Jasper, Alabama | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©