Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Black Bear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Bear
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just notified by my son that his landlord offered him (and me) access to his private property in Northern WI. Says there are very few, if any, deer there, but plenty of Black Bear. Not sure if black bear is considered 'dangerous game' but a gut-shot blackie seams like he might be reasonably dangerous to me...
I've never hunted any large game other than whitetails, and since it's getting late in the year for a 'pop-up hunt', am somewhat setting my sights on 2017 if the opportunity still exists. What would you guys recommend to someone who has never hunted bears in way of equipment, prep, strategies, etc?
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 408 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never hunted bear, either, so this thread will interest me also. From what I have read, the same equipment used on deer should be quite adequate for bear. Essentially, tuned gear, sharp broad heads, and accurate shooting are paramount, the same as in all hunting.

Scouting, stand selection, and bait preparation are all interesting aspects. I look forward to the various bait smells that people find effective. This should be educational.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4387 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larry f
Contributor 2014
Member # 5015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larry f   Author's Homepage   Email larry f   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to burst your bubble but you need to apply for preference points in order to get a kill tag. It has been taking about 6 - 7 years to get a tag.

--------------------
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular

Posts: 106 | From: Cable Wi | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by larry f:
Not to burst your bubble but you need to apply for preference points in order to get a kill tag. It has been taking about 6 - 7 years to get a tag.

Good to know, thank you! I will look into that. In the meantime, still looking or those tips and suggestions!

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 408 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Hmm... by the lack of responses, maybe black bear is not considered dangerous game? If not, moderators please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

goingoldskool
Contributor 2017
Member # 38326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goingoldskool   Email goingoldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've hunted 'Blackie' on and off for about the last 10years or so... The camp that I've been to has guided since 1968 and has never had an incident.... charges, yes, but no harm to any hunter.... that being said, a gut shot one would not be fun to follow up on! I've only lost one due to a low impact and have been on many a blood trail. If hit right, they go down quick! My son's arrow shot bear from this spring went a total of 9 yards! Try to stay away from the front shoulder! You will have a VERY hard time getting through it.

Good luck,shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd

--------------------
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28

Posts: 765 | From: nw missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V I Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for V I Archer   Email V I Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

My first black bear way back in 2001. 54 pound 21st century constellation, 2016 xx78 arrow and a Zwickey Eskimo broadhead. Shot at 8 yards. Bear ran straight up a tree, hung out for a few minutes and dropped. No blood trail to follow.

Bears are pretty thinned skinned and fairly easy to punch through, but the heavy hair can soak up a lot of blood before it hits the ground.

--------------------
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Posts: 596 | From: Terrace,British Columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnV   Email JohnV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much any large animal can be dangerous under the right circumstances. That said, I am more concerned being attacked by a wild dog or escaped convict than I am a black bear. And yes, I have hunted black bears multiple times and have encountered them while hunting other animals like elk. Healthy respect for them? Yes. Afraid of them? No!

Your best bet to learn more about bears may be to go on a bear hunt with an outfitter so when you finally draw that Wisconsin tag you will know a bit about hunting them.

--------------------
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 422 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beendare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beendare   Email beendare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are my thoughts too, John V

Bears are taylor made for stickbow hunting....

--------------------
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Posts: 283 | From: Alamo,Ca | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph71
Contributor 2017
Member # 37885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph71   Email Joseph71   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
black bears are indeed dangerous animals to hunt...a big, mature, and smart, poorly hit black bear if not dealt with wisely after the shot, can cost a man his life for sure!
55 pds with at least 10 grains per pound will punch right through any large black bear... if hit in the lung/heart area...the key is practice with a 3d life like target with bow set up properly, then start the mental challege by daily watching footage of black bears in the wild, put a pic on your wall paper, everytime you look at it note the vitals, do this daily, once your bow is right until your hunt...it will all come together with the right outfitter and Gods blessings!

--------------------
Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful. Ps. 116:5

Posts: 205 | From: in | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©