JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Lil Johnny Forge and blade forging demo (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Lil Johnny Forge and blade forging demo
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wyatt and I managed to shoot a very amateurish video about forging a hunting knife blade using a forge built by a friend. My oldest son, Greg, helped with the resizing and such, so thanks to him we can show this. I thought some of you might want to see it even though you might not be able to understand the dialect. [Smile] Lin

link

--------------------
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Posts: 4532 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KHALVERSON
Contributor 2010
Member # 15161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KHALVERSON   Email KHALVERSON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome video lin
you make it look easy
kevin

Posts: 1072 | From: HESPERIA MICHIGAN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DANA HOLMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DANA HOLMAN   Author's Homepage   Email DANA HOLMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, that's pretty much how I do it, but you do make it look easy
how long does it take to bring it back up to forgeing heat? mine takes about 5 min
Thanks Lin
Dana

--------------------
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Posts: 1262 | From: Grand Saline, Texas | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not long Dana. The sun was out that day and the color was not showing well, but it was hot while I was forging. I dont let it get too cold before I put it back in the forge, so 30 seconds to 45 seconds, maybe. Thanks guys, Lin

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Posts: 4532 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does it feel to be a movie star?!!??
Lin, I wanted to thank you for posting pictures of that forge some time back.
Because of that, I was inspired to make pedestals for my two forges and after I got them fixed up and on wheels, and then off of the table where they were PERMANENTLY in the way, it changed the atmosphere of my entire shop.
I can roll them out of the way and only pull them out when needed.
Thank you.
Of course, they need to be sand blasted and painted to be as pretty as Lil Johnny.
 -

--------------------
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2762 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gudspelr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudspelr   Email gudspelr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the video-very interesting to get to see how it's done.

Jeremy

--------------------
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Posts: 989 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2017
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lin that forge looks real familiar [Smile] Great demo on forging out a blade. Thanks...Jeff

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8461 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticshooter
Member # 2000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticshooter   Email sticshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff Lin. This has to be made a sticky.<><

--------------------
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp Stic."
TGMM

Posts: 9649 | From: Foot of the Cross! < WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roughcountry
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 2496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roughcountry   Email Roughcountry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for taking the time Lin. Really enjoyed watching and thats a dandy little forge.
I see you try to get all the use outta your gloves like I do. [Smile]

Posts: 2203 | From: Eastern Oregon | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldpaths
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldpaths   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting Lin. I am always hungry for info on anything to do with knife make'n and really appreciate it. [thumbsup]
I for one,find it extremely helpful to "visually" see something done.

--------------------
Colossians 3:23

Posts: 429 | From: north east TN | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Nuckels
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Nuckels   Email Steve Nuckels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice video, and I like the dialect! You did in 20 min what takes me 120 min.

Cool little forge too!

Thanks

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge

Posts: 2266 | From: Hagerstown, MD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wampus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wampus   Email Wampus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great video Lin. thanks a bunch for taking the time to make and post that. I was a little surprised to see you using the flat face of your hammer held/swung at an angle to draw out the tang rather than the cross peen end. Looked like it works great for that, really drew it right out.
Posts: 339 | From: Bastrop, TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Wampus,
The hammer I used was an old Ball Pien that I flattened to make it a straight pien.

But, I did use the straight pien to draw with. It might be hard to see when I spin it around, but I change it around a lot. Lin

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

STILL-HUNTIN
Member # 24037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STILL-HUNTIN   Email STILL-HUNTIN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. Every lit bit helps, and actually being able to see it being done, helps tremendously.

--------------------
"Anxiously awaiting the next hunt"

Posts: 25 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jpsowers
Member # 24463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpsowers   Author's Homepage   Email jpsowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great video Lin.
Posts: 83 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©