JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » My first Damascus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first Damascus
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really happy with this, lots of hammering! I made this on my homemade brake rotor forge using charcoal, anvil and hammer.
It started as 5 layers. 1084,15N20,5160,15N20,1084 I was so caught up in the forging that I can't remember if I folded it 3 or 4 times. [knothead]

Anyway, the handle is my stabilized walnut with buffalo horn bolsters and mosaic pins.

-

-

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Posts: 2263 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beauty!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17129 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bjansen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjansen   Author's Homepage   Email bjansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! Great job.
Posts: 2265 | From: Germantown, WI | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madness522
Contributor 2008
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madness522   Email madness522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job! Making Damascus by hand is not for the faint of heart!

--------------------
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Posts: 2277 | From: Davidson NC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSCATTRAPR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSCATTRAPR   Email KSCATTRAPR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty neat, great job!
Posts: 641 | From: Buhler, Kansas | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrackerNy
2016 Contributor - Assoc Sponsor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrackerNy   Email TrackerNy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real nice work!
Posts: 215 | From: New York | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sockrsblur
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That’s beautiful Benjy!
Any chance we could see a few photos of your homemade forge? That would be interesting to me [Smile]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2155 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have another brake rotor that fits inside of this one that is deeper that I used to get enough heat to get to welding temperature. I am a beginner at this so I am open to all ideas and opinions!

The blower is an oven exhaust fan, I bought a variable speed switch to adjust the air flow.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2263 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

quote:
Originally posted by madness522:
Nice job! Making Damascus by hand is not for the faint of heart!

You have that right! I spent about 10 hours and 4 bags of charcoal on this one blade! It was worth it in the end!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

flyflinger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyflinger   Email flyflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!
Posts: 171 | From: southern illinois | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2018
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benjy,
Very nice! You could almost buy a forge for the time you have into that blade [Smile]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8528 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_a_hunter
2016 Contributor
Member # 9535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_a_hunter   Email just_a_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it turned out very nice!

Todd

--------------------
"Before you get down on yourself because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Posts: 1228 | From: Rangely, Colorado | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©