JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Pipe twisting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pipe twisting
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soonerlongbow   Email Soonerlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago there was a thread from a member saying he used a pipe spinning machine to twist bar stock. It gave the appearance of Damascus. Iím trying to locate this thread to show a coworker that is a bladesmith.

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Posts: 632 | From: OK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me? (You mean a pipe threading machine)

Just go to about the 3 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_Xha7TK9w&t=269s

And it's not the appearance of Damascus - it is Damascus.
If there's any confusion on that I can refer you to another video to explain that.

This is the result of that twist:

-

-

--------------------
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2791 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soonerlongbow   Email Soonerlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thatís awesome Karl! Thanks man.

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Posts: 632 | From: OK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you twisting two different metals together or just a single steel?

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1893 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

The original thread I remember was someone using only a single piece of bar stock. The twisting caused a look that wasnít Damascus but gave some interesting effects that resembled it. He did a photo build along and I remember Lin saying he did something similar by hand but could never get it nearly as tight by hand.
My buddy was interested in the concept and Iíve sent him the video above and I think itíll help him.

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Thadbow
Contributor 2017
Member # 21824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thadbow   Email Thadbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=005304
Posts: 456 | From: Hershey PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

Karl, what ever became of that billet? All yíall smittys make some awesome stuff with ingenuity that simply leaves me in awe.

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soonerlongbow:
Karl, what ever became of that billet? All yíall smittys make some awesome stuff with ingenuity that simply leaves me in awe.

I stated in my post that the knife pictured was from that billet.

--------------------
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2791 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

quote:
Originally posted by Soonerlongbow:
The original thread I remember was someone using only a single piece of bar stock. The twisting caused a look that wasnít Damascus but gave some interesting effects that resembled it.

That makes no sense at all. Even after twisting you still only have one homogeneous steel type. Twisting doesn't change the properties of the steel.

--------------------
Chief Joseph

Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

I guess I just remembered incorrectly. Still, the idea of using the pipe threading machine is incredible!

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©