JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Green antler

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Green antler
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Graps   Email Graps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I got this wonderful deer rack that is going to make a couple of great antler handle knives.
I thought it was aged but when I cut the tang slot in the antler, CRAP it is still green. It must have been from a deer this last fall.
My question is, do any of you think I could bake them in the oven or something to dry them out or should I just set them aside until next summer?
They are too nice to experiment with.
And I have the blades in the heat treat oven as I'm typing this.
Thanks for your input.
Graps

--------------------
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow. " Fred Bear
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 2288 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Nuckels
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Nuckels   Email Steve Nuckels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dale, maybe keep it a little longer to be sure. Do you like the color? If not plenty of ways you can "Age" the antler and color it. A very good Bladesmith named John Cohea makes excellent Frontier knives using antler. He uses "Green" antler sometime and heats it withe a propane torch and dies it while hot with leather dye and then 50/50 Mineral oil and boiled Linseed oil. Looks great!

Steve
---------
Potomac Forge
Member W.F. Moran Foundation
ABS Apprentice

Posts: 2272 | From: Hagerstown, MD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps   Email Graps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The color is great, it's an off white and I like that.
Funny thing, when I cut the second one, it didn't stick to my cutter. The first one did, kinda looked like peanut butter.
When I usually cut the slots, it looks like talcum powder and doesn't stick on the tool.
I might just stick them in the oven at around 250 deg for a couple hours. I don't see how that would hurt.

--------------------

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 2288 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps   Email Graps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I baked them for 3 hours at 225°, that did the trick.

--------------------

}}}}}=========€ >

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©