JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2008 » One if my greatest hunts in 50 years of bowhunting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One if my greatest hunts in 50 years of bowhunting
ken denton
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ken denton   Author's Homepage   Email ken denton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year while celebrating my bowhunting buddy's 75 birthday at his 35 acres in south central Texas we decided to hunt his place on his next birthday(Oct 19) this year.We got there on Friday in time for the afternoon hunt and I set up a small tripod overlooking a one acre oat patch. Had a spike and does come close and three bucks at 30 yards, with one being a 8 point at about 19" wide but no shot. Saturday morning I went to the back of his place where a 15" ladder stand was set up and I had never been in.It had rubs and one scrape within bow range of my stand and was a crossing for deer.
I saw nothing until right before 8 AM and a doe came under me followed by the wide buck I had seen Friday. He lunged at her like he was in rut and walked under some brush when I drew and held until he was clear at about 15 yards.My 47# longbow hit high in the shoulder and came out low behind his leg.I saw the feathers disapear and after he ran 5 yards the shaft broke off in front of the feathers and fell to the ground.
I waited about 45 minutes and went looking and blood was hard to see because of a heavy dew so I went to where I last watched his run and crawled under the brush until I came to a trail which I followed and by luck found him to the side of the trail. He was about 80 Yards from my stand. The wide 1 1/2" 210 grain Aboyer single bevel had done its job.
The broadhead would still shave after I found it.This was a great hunt even though my buddy Don's birthday was not until Sunday.I am 69 now and he turned 76 years old.
On his birthday the next morning he and were sitting outside the cabin and as I looked across the pond a Cougar(over 100#) ran across.In all my hunting I have never seen a mountain lion in the wild.He and his wife had seen one in the same place about 3 sighting in the last 3 years.
This area of Texas is not noted for cougar, but he is in some end of the road thick stuff. The photos show the entry and exit of the BH. Ken Denton  -  -  -  -  -

--------------------
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Posts: 1605 | From: Fredericksburg,Tx 78624 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmh
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmh   Email cmh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[clapper]

--------------------
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Posts: 855 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cahaba
Contributor 2014
Member # 12221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cahaba   Author's Homepage   Email cahaba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great buck ken. Now I want to see one with that Contender you got from me. Congratulations David aka cahaba

--------------------
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Posts: 1553 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a fine buck!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishiwannabe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishiwannabe   Email ishiwannabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck! Congrats on a great hunt.

--------------------
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
-Jamie

Posts: 4441 | From: Coxsackie, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a terrific day. I sure hope I'm still chasing whitetails at that age. Congrats on a nice deer. bretto
Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken denton
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ken denton   Author's Homepage   Email ken denton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was locating this story in the Photos and stories of 2008? Moderators can move it if they wish! Thanks, Ken

--------------------
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Posts: 1605 | From: Fredericksburg,Tx 78624 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
Contributor 2016
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome! Like mentioned above, I hope I still have the flame burning like you do when I reach your age. Well done!
Posts: 3118 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Warnock
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Warnock   Email Robert Warnock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story!
Posts: 125 | From: Oak Park, Georgia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the bow man
Contributor 2014
Member # 17802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan the bow man   Email Stan the bow man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRS. Great shot

Stan BW Bowman

--------------------
21st Century 66" 52@28
Blackwidow osage PLX 62"#,56 @28"
Massie 64"48@28 Longhorn Longbow
Wesley Special Black bear 72" 50@28

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

Posts: 343 | From: Humble , Texas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well done

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck! Sounds like a great hunt too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Michigan Longbow Association

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats [thumbsup]

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2685 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOFF
Contributor 2008
Member # 4767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOFF   Email BOFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reads like a wonderful hunt and fellowship!! [thumbsup]
Posts: 1597 | From: TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©