Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » NOOB on lam storage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NOOB on lam storage
Theolithic71
Member # 45638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theolithic71   Email Theolithic71   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my package today that has my fiberglass lams. They are coiled up in the box. Is it ok to store them coiled up for a while?

Another...
I'm cutting/grinding my own core lams. How soon after I mill them would I need to use them? It's cold and super low humidity right now and I'm concerned my lams may turn to potato chips if I let the sit too long.

Many thanks,

Ted

--------------------
Ted Snider

Posts: 38 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I uncoil my glass when I get it and store it flat - but I don't think it would hurt to leave it coiled.

I stack my wood lams and use electrical tape to tape them together - wrapped in 3 or 4 places along the lams with paper under the tape so it it not sticking to the wood. Not sure the best way, just how I do it.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1491 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I uncoil the glass and keep it standing in carpet tubes.

I keep the lams taped together like Mitch does, and stored in boxes to keep the dust off.

They should not be finish ground until they're adequately dry, and if they are, then ground, then kept in that same dry atmoshphere, they won't warp... at least not enough to worry about.

I like to keep my lams in board form, or 'rough sawn' to about 3/16 - 1/4" until I'm ready to make the bow, then grind them a day or two before, when possible.

Posts: 2379 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theolithic71
Member # 45638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theolithic71   Email Theolithic71   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Definately good idea on the dust free storage. Rough wood is hard to clean without changing dimensions.

Constraining the movement is a good idea too.

As always, thanks much!!

--------------------
Ted Snider

Posts: 38 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©