Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Tiller tree damage (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tiller tree damage
mrbxzzz
Member # 45706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrbxzzz   Author's Homepage   Email mrbxzzz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always used i simple board with nails as a tiller tree, thinking i should switch to pulley as I start to use more exotic staves.

Does leaving a wood board bow drawn on a tiller tree cause any damage to the belly of the bow ie induce set, reduce cast, etc.

--------------------
BRB

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulling it a few inches at low weight probably doesn't hurt anything. But IMO the further it is pulled under greater weight and the longer it is held, the more damage done.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mwosborn:
Pulling it a few inches at low weight probably doesn't hurt anything. But IMO the further it is pulled under greater weight and the longer it is held, the more damage done.

yep

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13168 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sir.
Jawge

Posts: 4860 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how long is too long to hold a wooden bow drawn on the tree? And how much weight might a bow lose if held drawn that long?
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot all my bows with a pretty long hold at anchor, maybe 1-3seconds typically. I haven't really noticed that doing anything terrible.

I also commonly leave a bow drawn on the tree for long enough to quickly step back and look, then mark the belly side with a pencil where I need to scrape. Maybe 10 seconds.

I try to reduce how much I need to do that, but at the end of the day a well tillered bow will last longer, and you got to do what you got to do to make a well tillered bow.

Posts: 2961 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try not to hold any selfbow for longer that 2 or 3 seconds. When I shoot I release as soon as I hit my anchor. If I find myself getting sloppy or short drawing I will hold for a second or 2 before releasing.
Remember wood in a natural material and too much stress can shorten it's life or at least add more set.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13168 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die_dunkelheit
Member # 45138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for die_dunkelheit   Email die_dunkelheit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah during tiller it should be quick as others have suggested, but also always have a scale on it and never pull it over the intended draw weight.

--------------------
-Ghost

Posts: 89 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EwokArcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EwokArcher   Email EwokArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During tillering a bow should be treated like you plan on shooting it. Any more draw weight pulled or unnecessary time held is going to be extra damage to the wood cells
Posts: 242 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had the T stick break. The bow gave me a nice bump on my head. I burned the t stick and made a nice portable top and pulley.

Nails driven into a board can work their way out.

Y'all are much braver than I am. I have no desire to get my head near a bow under construction while at full draw.

Jawge

Posts: 4860 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah come on, Jawge...

Where is your sense of adventure? LOL

Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot a video with my camera and pull to full draw.
Then I use Windows live movie maker and get a snap shot at full draw to post for you guy's.

You could do the same at any part of the draw.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1862 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Been 8 hours now.. Lose the camera?
wood carver 2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wood carver 2   Email wood carver 2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look in the sock drawer. [Wink] [dead horse]
Dave.

--------------------
" Vegetarian" a Native American term for bad hunter.

Posts: 1653 | From: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©