Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » 2017 Bow Swap (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15   
Author Topic: 2017 Bow Swap
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for some opinions on how to finish out the ELB. I'm debating between traditional horn nock using either buffalo horn or deer antler. Or using overlays of the same material to save in length and tip weight. What do you all think? The bow is 75" between the nocks and about 77" overall. I plan to cut it down using a fiberglass takedown sleeve to help with both shipping and ease of transportation. What do you all think? I'm going to wait to put them on until I get it shot in so in sure I'm happy with it before it gets dolled up.

Kyle

Posts: 55 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the nice comment Evan. It's not much to look at yet, just two yellow sticks with a metal handle. As soon as this cherry bark dries I'll get it all prettied up. Having a hard time shooting it in, since my recipient's draw length is longer than mine, (mine is 27" on a good day). Hope I don't loose an ear in the process, LOL.
Posts: 1104 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Landis   Email Dan Landis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle, I think either the buffalo horn or the antler will look real nice with the persimmon, and not add much tip weight.
Posts: 1104 | From: Abbottstown, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo coon

We have Persimmon down here in Mississippi.
Let's see some pictures?

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1701 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo_coon-catcher   Email Mo_coon-catcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ran into an issue posting pics at the moment. I tried getting the imgur app. But I need to update my phones software to get it. But I don't have enough internal memory to update it. So I need to hook up to a computer with iTunes to update. And my laptops internal wifi antenas is broke. So I've got to get either an external antenna or get ahold of a computer with iTunes on it that is hooked up to the Internet. Don't you just love technology. So I've got some ordering to do before I can get some pictures up.

But I've decided I'm going to go for an antler tip overlay and try to blend the wood into the antler tip so it'll flow smoothly. I shot it a bit yesterday with the still heavy tips. It actually surprised me. It took a total of 2" of set at this point and was pulling 60#, I expect it to settle in around 55# after sanding and some more shooting. And with a 600gr arrow I got about a 170 yard flight shot out of it. It was just one quick shot though. It has a little thump on release, but it's not bad. It should get better when cleans up. The tips are 1/2" and will be taken down to 5/16-3/8". This persimmon is dens enough that should be a good bit of mass removed.

Kyle

Posts: 55 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

I'm debating making the ELB into a takedown with a fiberglass sleeve to help on both shipping cost and ease of transportation. Though the difference in shipping is only about $15 or so between full length and cut in half, which making the sleeve will close the gap. With the tips put on, it's running about 80" long and it does flex in the handle some. If I do, I'll make a 3" cut and make the sleeve 3.5" and have the arrow pass be ontop of the handle wrap. The glass will be sanded to have a smootg transition back into the wood so it can flex a bit. Otherwise it'll be the same, but without the extra bulk in the grip of the glass sleeve. The handle area is currently 1.25" wide by 1.125" deep. Ther sleeve will add about 1/4" to ye girth.

What do you all think?

Btw, persimmon is a beautiful wood with a few coats of tru oil, grey with streaks of greens and purple. I couldn't help myself and put a couple coats on to seal it before writing, and while debating the handle.

Thanks,
Kyle

Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Seems to me that it would be a lot of work and a possible weak link. I don't think I would do it for $15. Just my opinion though.
KellyG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyG   Email KellyG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well looks like some progress going on.
Posts: 4300 | From: Riley, KS | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the finish coat on yesterday

--------------------

Posts: 1701 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Landis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17894

Finally got the cherry bark on mine, need to clean up the bark, apply some finish and a handle wrap yet. This thing is starting to feel like I have a job again, been at it a few hours almost every day since the beginning. I sure hope my recipient likes it.
Al Dean
Contributor 2014
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dean   Email Al Dean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the riser sanded. Got the limb tip over lays on. About ready for finish sanding and tiller check and shooting test. If all goes well then finish.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 915 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swissbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swissbow   Email Swissbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The draw weight is still a bit high but that's gonna leave me some room to adjust the tiller the way i want it.

-

Posts: 873 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

NICE, swissbow

Got the finish all done.
All I have to do is glue the leather arrow rest on and it will be ready to ship.

-

--------------------

Mo_coon-catcher
Member # 45723

Those are two good lookin bows! Now which one will end up on my doorstep?

Mine just needs a few more coats of truoil and a handle wrap to be finished. I'm thinking about doing a woven sort of thing with some black leather lacing.

Kyle

Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

I will be gone all week
April 30-----May 7

Don't ship

--------------------

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©