Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Redneck testing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Redneck testing
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked to a good bowyer this morning and he got me thinking.... [Big Grin] [scared]

So tonite I cut some .060 parallel lams exactly the same length, checking thickness on each one and adjusting as needed to get as close to .060 as possible. Also cut all to 1.5" width with table saw set for all so as close as possible to exact.

The deflection was checked by hanging over end of bench 6" and clamping it and a straight board down to bench. Then measuring deflection to straight board, and flipping over to check and average result.

Here are the results so far, most of these would be core woods, and are edge grain.

Wood -- weight in grains -- deflection in "

R. elm ------- 32.4 -------- 1 1/16
A-wood ------- 44.2 -------- 7/8
Amber boo ---- 37.4 -------- 1 1/4
Nat boo ------ 41.0 -------- 1 3/16
Ash ---------- 34.8 -------- 1 5/16
Walnut ------- 32.4 -------- 1
H locust ----- 39.5 -------- 1 3/8
Hickory ------ 39.6 -------- 7/8+
Osage -------- 49.1 -------- 7/8+
Maple -------- 41.1 -------- 7/8-

See why a lot of old bows were maple core? LOL

Hope these numbers can help you decide on cores, but the numbers are pretty much controlled by the individual tree they came from. YMMV [Smile]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

Posts: 11424 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using hard rock maple rift sawn for some time now.
good stuff

Nice project.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1513 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Roy's gonna crucify me for being technical on simple bows, but I bet he picks good stuff for his tri lams too... [laughing] JK Roy!

Actually this would help on any kind of bow or bendy thing.

I like maple, amberboo and walnut in that order.

The best hunting bow I've made was walnut, just a sweet shooting bow.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

Posts: 11424 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2015
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[archer2]

--------------------
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 763 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale in Pa
Contributor 2016
Member # 2454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale in Pa   Email Dale in Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting Kenny. I'm surprised walnut isn't more popular as core material.
Posts: 637 | From: orefield pa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ole Boy.
Ya have me thinking now cause I use red elm for cores a lot. Also surprised that Osage is heavier than hickory. But what happened to the .025 etc stuff? [Smile]

Posts: 10863 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Remember these were just from one sample, next board or tree may be whole different story.

The .025 stuff was just veneers for known heavier woods. [Smile]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to test some poplar and Mongolian tulip wood next.. [Smile]

But yup the next trees could be different. That's why I like using sister billets when making bows.

Posts: 10863 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this test for myself on static tips.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=012157#000000

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1513 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Mtw is the very best but I can't source it. Some guy in PA bought it up.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Walnut is real good but it came in a bit light when I built the test bows a few years back. This board might have been better.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use mostly Maple exclusively, I like working with it and the dust impact is on the lower end of the scale compared to woods like, yew and black walnut.
I wonder how White Oak compares..?

Posts: 640 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff Kenny... What is the total length of the laminations you cut??? I would like to cut a piece of Sheoak and compare to the other woods... Have you thought about putting a small weight weight on the end also??? Your results may vary...

Thanks for sharing...

Posts: 149 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

I forgot to say I put a 2" spring clamp on the last 1/8" of the lam to deflect it. I intended to weigh it too but haven't gotten it done.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

quote:
Originally posted by kennym:
I talked to a good bowyer this morning and he got me thinking.... [Big Grin] [scared]

So tonite I cut some .060 parallel lams exactly the same length, checking thickness on each one and adjusting as needed to get as close to .060 as possible. Also cut all to 1.5" width with table saw set for all so as close as possible to exact.

The deflection was checked by hanging over end of bench 6" and clamping it and a straight board down to bench. Then measuring deflection to straight board, and flipping over to check and average result. I used a 2" spring clamp square on the lam end 1/8" onto the end of lam , was gonna weigh it but didn't yet.

Here are the results so far, most of these would be core woods, and are edge grain.

Wood -- weight in grains -- deflection in "

R. elm ------- 32.4 -------- 1 1/16
A-wood ------- 44.2 -------- 7/8
Amber boo ---- 37.4 -------- 1 1/4
Nat boo ------ 41.0 -------- 1 3/16
Ash ---------- 34.8 -------- 1 5/16
Walnut ------- 32.4 -------- 1
H locust ----- 39.5 -------- 1 3/8
Hickory ------ 39.6 -------- 7/8+
Osage -------- 49.1 -------- 7/8+
Maple -------- 41.1 -------- 7/8-

See why a lot of old bows were maple core? LOL

Hope these numbers can help you decide on cores, but the numbers are pretty much controlled by the individual tree they came from. YMMV [Smile]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.
kennysarchery.com

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©