Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Offset string grooves (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Offset string grooves
skeaterbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have proved to myself again and again that when it comes to filing string grooves, I am "that guy". That guy that no matter how meticulous and careful I go, I am just incapable of cutting the grooves even.

Who sells a guide that can make this fool proof for the impaired..... [wavey]

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 327 | From: Lawson, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yer from Missouri hain't cha? Yer not related to Kenny M are ya? LOL

I don't file string grooves on the side of the limb tips anymore. Just across the back of the tip. That's all ya need to hold the string and the string aligns itself on the sides..

Posts: 11076 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, that only works if the over lay is at least 3/8" thick at the groove. Try this skeater:

File one groove in, then lay a 16d nail in it so you can clearly see the angle. Then draw a matching line on the opposite side of the limb. It should come out close enough you wont see it from the road [Smile]

I hate trying to explain simple stuff in words. One picture and it all makes sense.

Posts: 3687 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just measure the top and bottom and mark that along the limb, then file.
Posts: 11076 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually put a mark on the back about 3/4" down from the tip and another on the belly at about 1". This usually gives me a groove at about 45deg on the tip edge. This is for selfbows, backed bows and tri-lams.
With one side higher than the other file the lower edge of that nock down until it matches the other. Everything above the string groove is dead weight anyway so just shape above to even out the tip.
I've seen jigs that folks have made that fit over(or around) the tip used as a guide for the chainsaw file.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13087 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeaterbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My marks are always pretty spot on, it's the filing straight that eludes me.

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 327 | From: Lawson, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start with a light swipe or two with a hacksaw blade. This will give you a nice little groove for the round file to follow.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 643 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or start with the edge of a triangular file

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2863 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dean
Contributor 2014
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dean   Email Al Dean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't cut the first groove too much to start with. Then go to the second groove checking frequently. Having not cut too much you can line them up perfect as you go.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 921 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how I go about it, and it works pretty well for me. YMMV

I mark the bow length to nocks on tape while full width and square across the limb. After profiling limbs, I mark a 45* across limb edges(be sure and go right way [Smile] ) and file the grooves in, to center of bow LEAVE the mark and file inside it (toward center) I make them .090" deep, checking with dial calipers .

Then put overlays on , grind to clean up and refile to .100" deep , round everything that looks like a string cutter and string up, look limb alignment over and go from there.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11838 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rockkiller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rockkiller   Email rockkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Here is a jig that helps me. I'm pretty sure I got the idea from someone on this forum.

Posts: 430 | From: Alpine,Wyoming | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

I think Robertfishes had something like that too.
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have to do a little fine tuning after overlays are done.

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 1903 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 2 chainsaw files.
file one grove, hold the file in the grove on the bottom and START the other side, look at it good and file it in when you are satisfied

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1737 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rockkiller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rockkiller   Email rockkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasnt sure where I stole the idea, just knew I wasnt smart enough to think of it [knothead]
Posts: 430 | From: Alpine,Wyoming | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©