Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Fiberglass laminated English Long Bow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fiberglass laminated English Long Bow
Jason Jelinek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Jelinek   Email Jason Jelinek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made fiberglass laminated longbows before, all with a rigid handle section with fade-outs. They have worked well. I've also made many all-wood bows and really enjoy shooting English longbows. I want the consistency and durability of a fiberglass longbow.

I took a break from making bows in 2006, I decided to get back into the saddle and make a couple.

I had a co-worker cut me a single board of hickory 1" wide, 5/8" thick in the middle for 4" then tapered to 1/4" at each end. I then split a 2" wide, 0.04" thick fiberglass lamination in half and glued it on the back and belly with G2 epoxy using bicycle inner tube on a straight form. Then added tigerwood overlays.

The bow turned out 70# @ 28" with 3/4" of set.

Here's the bow braced up:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cx3HFIFiA6RehTMq2

Here's the wood core drawing:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1E96lHipI8Mmbt9O4QLsKW5M1FkuFwGyHCZ5mrJyEI5s/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the link to my google album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y9q0mX0aLNJ1xMxZ2

I'll add more pictures as the bow progresses.

Posts: 873 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks Purty Good...
Posts: 224 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1740 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
choochoou
Contributor 2016
Member # 35160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for choochoou   Email choochoou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice !

--------------------
It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt...then its hilarious!

Posts: 160 | From: PA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there dun that. If she holds together my hats off to you, on a long note it looks great.
Posts: 687 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Jelinek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Jelinek   Email Jason Jelinek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wolftrail, did your attempts fail? Is so, why do you think so?

I used a hickory board that has really good straight grain, though I haven't shot it yet.

Posts: 873 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no reason for it to fail? If normal methods were used glass bows are next to indestructible.
Posts: 871 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©