Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Padding the form for riser fit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Padding the form for riser fit
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang...

Say if sand the riser and it has like 95% fit on the form. Can I pad the form with some soft material so when the is clamped down it`ll get a perfect fit?
Just wondering if anyone tried something like this...

Posts: 243 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would sand to get as close as possible. But I will admit.....I have used a small piece of masking tape to close up small spots.

Just make sure you test fit with all of your lams in place. Also, make sure the riser is perfectly centered during dry run and glue up. If the riser shifts during glue up, the tape could magnify gaps rather than fix them.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 758 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a dowel to center the riser and lams on the form.

Are you using just regular masking tape or duct tape? I have the paper masking tape kind which I use on my glass lams.

Posts: 243 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just the paper kind. I just put a piece across the form where the gap is. You can see it on the center of the riser in this pic.
 -

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 758 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Cool.
Thanks Bvas

Crittergetter
SPONSOR
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used a couple layers of paper towels one time. I had a phenolic riser that was being a pain to fit. It was oh so dang close and the more I messed with it the worse it would get. So I got it back to almost perfect and put a couple layers of paper towels on the form before I glued the stack . It worked great!

--------------------
www.primaltechbows.com
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 2033 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

That`s a great idea Crittergetter... should post it on the tip and tricks thread
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used styrofoam packing (same thing as a coffee cup)
I resaw it to 1/8" or so for overlays. I cut a 2x4 close to the curve of the riser and use the foam to push the overlay's tight. works really good.If you could saw it thin enough it could work on the form.

I have some other packing that is more porous and more flexible at 1" or 2" thick you can bend it. I have resawn to about 1/16" or less for the form and it works really good.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pago
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pago   Email Pago   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never used painters tape to close up a gap I could not close up now matter how many times I tried, never. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Posts: 321 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kunzie
Member # 2445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kunzie   Email Kunzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a strip of rubber base molding cut to width. It is thin and dense. works great.
Posts: 14 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kunzie......

I use the same material, full length, on my form for every bow I build.

James

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 2046 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©