Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Osage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Osage
mark Willoughby
Contributor 2017
Member # 42619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark Willoughby   Email mark Willoughby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always been fascinated with self bows so yesterday I went and cut 7 good straight logs to make stave out off . Which didn't take to long because I've got more osage trees than my chainsaw cares to talk about [laughing] but to my question I know it will have to dry for a year or so but can I go ahead and establish one ring on the back and rough out the stave ? [dunno] any help would be great !! Thanks in advance guys [campfire]

--------------------
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 889 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Split the logs into pieces 3"+ wide, remove the bark and sapwood, follow one heartwood growth ring end to end and seal it. Ends should be sealed as well.

Then cut it out 2" wide while following the grain. Leave plenty of thickness in the handle/dip area and make the rest of the limbs 3/4 thick.

It can then be steamed and straightened if necessary, and/or reflex added, and then left to dry for a couple of months.

Dean Torges' book, Hunting the Osage Bow covers all of this, making an osage selfbow from tree to finish in great detail. Highly recommended reading.

Posts: 2356 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark Willoughby
Contributor 2017
Member # 42619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark Willoughby   Email mark Willoughby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome thanks for the reply

--------------------
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 889 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you need to seal both ends of all the logs ASAP.
very important. wood glue works good, several coats

Then
What bowjunkie said

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1801 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©