Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » It's trilam season again (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: It's trilam season again
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Roy, how do you taper your bamboo?
I just try to get mine 1/8" or thinner. It seems the nodes would get in the way of any efforts to taper properly like you could with lumber.

Posts: 151 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I run it through my drum sander to get it close.
Once the boo is cut to the exact shape of the bow. I taper it on my 4' edge sander, one limb at a time. It's a little hairy and ya gotta watch your fingertips. Then I finish it off with a toothing plane on my work bench.

Posts: 11389 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, and slicing your hand open.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim was here yesterday. Cut the bow out, then used a rasp to clean up the sides, rasp in the facets front and back, sanded the bow, then shaped the tip overlays and cut in the string grooves. It's been floor tillered and ready for the tillering tree.

-

-

-

Posts: 11389 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good Roy

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Tim is doin great on his first bow. [thumbsup]
What did you use for tips? Horn?

Any progress on your bow? Or too busy taking pics and drinking 7up? [saywhat]

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 759 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Buffalo horn.
I put mine on the back burner while Tim is building his.. And a little 7up... [Smile]

BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The official start of Trilam season. I guess I need to finish tillering my trilam that I started months ago.
It's looking good. Did you use the same amount of reflex/deflex as your normal setup?
That one looks like there's more reflex.

Posts: 151 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

I put in more reflex and less deflex. I do that by moving the mid limb post out more towards the tips.

Tim was here yesterday. He brought a case of water.. What's wrong with this guy? LOL [Smile]

Bow on the tree for the first time. The bottom limb to the left is a little stiff, we worked on that for a while.

-

Bottom limb starting to come around.

-

At rest after being pulled to 19 inches with the long string. It's ready for a 4 inch brace height, but I realized I gave my only longbow stringer to the grandson a couple weeks ago. DUH.. So today I will make a couple longbow stringers..

-

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Video here. Top limb to the right needs to open up just a tad more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8BiibrKms&feature=youtu.be

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy, do you like the full draw to have stiff, unbending outer limbs(slightly reflexed) or a full circular tiller throughout from tip to tip on a R/D style bow?

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13206 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Circular, Pat. I used to flip the tips with heat before glue up to get the slight reflex at full draw but it seemed to be harder to tiller that way. Almost seemed like making the bow shorter with the heat induced reflex.

-

Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Profile looks really nice especially at full draw. It sure looks longer than 60".
Posts: 743 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Man, you all don't mess around. It's looking good!
My trilam's un-braced profile looks just like that one, and I'm having trouble bringing it to low brace. It keeps popping back to it's un-braced profile with the string laying flat on the handle. I keep shortening the string but it keeps going back. Any tips?

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

That last picture is not Tims bow. I was just showing Pat what my bows profile looks like.

Benton, it could be that your bow is still way too heavy to string up. A super heavy bow will stretch the crap out of a string. Did you get it bending at floor tiller?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©