Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Heat Gun bending

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heat Gun bending
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When bending bows (tips) etc.. with a heat gun how long should one wait before exercising the bow.
Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inksoup
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 26640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inksoup   Author's Homepage   Email inksoup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do not know how other do but i wait until i can not touch to surface of the wood.

but steam bending is safer imo.

best.

--------------------
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Posts: 473 | From: turkey | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some folks say that after heat correcting a working part of the limb, it's a good idea to wait a week or more to allow some moisture to return, since the heat gun drives it out, sometimes to dangerously low levels. I've heard of a few instances of the limb breaking where the correction was made if flexed too soon.

I've never had a heat correction break, but don't build them in a hurry, so maybe they get to rehydrate afterwards by default.

Posts: 2380 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally wait until the next day after heat bending with a heat gun. Even when the surface is cool the internal wood could be warm enough to bend reversing the correction.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13169 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pat B:
I generally wait until the next day after heat bending with a heat gun. Even when the surface is cool the internal wood could be warm enough to bend reversing the correction.

Sounds about right, I have done some in the past with no ill effect. As long as no fibers have lifted it should be ok.
Just wanted some feedback on this subject as I dont know what is adequate.
As far as waiting a week or so I dont think its necessary as long the wood was within 7-10 percent moisture content when applying heat..

Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On some of the recurves I've bent with dry heat(oil added)splinters lifted. I just saturate with super glue and sand it smooth when the glue dries. On one extreme recurve I made it splintered quite a bit so after super glue and sanding I added an underlay of yew with a very thin piece of ipe for the string to ride on. Once reshaped it was good to go.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13169 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Thanks for the info. [thumbsup]
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wait overnight before proceeding. Jawge
Posts: 4860 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wait until the next day. Jawge
Posts: 4860 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

quote:
Originally posted by George Tsoukalas:
I wait until the next day. Jawge

I wait overnight before proceeding. Jawge

Same diff aint it.? [Roll Eyes]
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Jawge... [thumbsup]
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

..............good stuff

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©