Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Bow performance (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bow performance
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has come up before I'm sure, would a bow of 60" be faster than a bow of 66" having the same draw weight.
Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and No.
Posts: 2380 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you changing to go from 60-66”?
Limbs, riser, both?

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 741 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be more specific either a wood bow or glass, (one piece). Both bows have the exact profile inch for inch.
Just curious.

Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazzad
Member # 46559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazzad   Email Dazzad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To find the definitive answer I'd probably dive for TBB1 and read Tim Baker's chapter on bow design and performance.

I keep forgetting all the principles, but I'm not sure it's clear-cut in real life....stands to reason that the 60" limbs will be shorter, therefore lighter, but then how does the increased string angle of the shorter bow impact on getting a clean release??

I know this is an apples/oranges kind of comparison, but I remember thinking that my 64" 50lb (D/R) Bear Montana was not actually as fast as my 50lb (straight laid) 68" ASL...

Now that I've blathered on and not really answered your question, I guess someone will coma and give you (and me) a lovely succinct answer [Smile] [Smile]

Darren

--------------------
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Posts: 35 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it will not be faster. It will be slower.
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
No it will not be faster. It will be sloer.

Why?

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 741 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faster

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1863 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazzad
Member # 46559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazzad   Email Dazzad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha i didn't think this was so clear-cut!! Tim Baker has supposedly built more bows than anyone alive - TBB1 has the answer (or at least as well informed an opinion as could be had!)

Darren

--------------------
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Posts: 35 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the longer bow will have thicker limbs which have a faster rate of return than thinner limbs (all else being equal).
The shorter bow will stack more at full draw. Its limbs would also be strained more than the longer bow and would thereforte take more set (wooden bow).
Shorter bows limbs physicallly weigh less therefore can return faster (but they are strained more than the longer bows limbs so this is unlikely, if strain was the same then they would return faster).
As with everything in bow making when you find a specific factor you think will make a bow 'faster' there is always a negative.
Really there is no answer to your question as it is too open ended and simplistic.

Posts: 891 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dean
Do a search with this.

would a bow of 60" be faster than a bow of 66" having the same draw weight/Trad Gang

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1863 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
Dean
Do a search with this.

would a bow of 60" be faster than a bow of 66" having the same draw weight/Trad Gang

Thanks I'll do that, even with all the variables I would be inclined to think that the shorter bow would be faster at close range. Quicker release.
A short war bow if there is such a thing would have a much shorter range.

---------------------------------------------
This is what I found, read the entire post by pavan.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=110499
Posted by pavan (Member # 21538) on November 13, 2011 01:01 PM:

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All things being equal, a longer bow is faster, quieter, and more accurate. Plus easier to tiller and being longer it has less stress on the limbs. It's amazing what an extra 4 inches in bow length can do. Not too mention, zero hand shock if tillered properly.
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This came up on another forum... I believe that it was agreed that a longer bow would be faster than a shorter bow, everything being the same...
Posts: 273 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from memory, so take it for what its worth..

Someone, maybe Blacky Schwartz, tested 2 Widows same weight of different length and the longer one edged the shorter one by a bit in speed.

But, how can they be the same design with different lengths? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12029 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©