Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Tillering Selfbow For Fixed Crawl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tillering Selfbow For Fixed Crawl
DavidWood
Member # 40224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DavidWood   Email DavidWood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody ever set up their selfbow (or sinew backed bow) to shoot with a fixed crawl. If so, what did you do differently when setting it up or when tillering?
Posts: 20 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are going to tiller on a tiller tree, I would figure out where you plan on placing the arrow nock on the string, then figure out where the center of your middle finger will be on the string when shooting the bow, and place the trees pull rope right where the center of your middle finger will be. I assume my string nocking point to be 3/8th above the arrow shelf with arrow under the string nock and plan it out from there when tillering. Then tiller the bow for equal limb timing.
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Y
2017 Contributor
Member # 45671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Y   Email Tim Y   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. And thanks for that answer or method Roy.
I shoot three under and had up to this point waited to cut my shelf until I knew which limb was strongest. Then made that the upper limb. It was all based on a hope and a prayer. But with Roy's method I feel that I'll have some control.
Thanks again
-Tim

--------------------
- Be good to yourself. -

Dwyer Defiant #55@28
Bootleg Bows -longbow 64" #43@28
Red Oak, Board Bow -66" #42@28
Ben P, Mercury Hunter -60" #45@28

Posts: 21 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great answer from Roy but personally I would only tiller for 3 under or split. If you are looking to improve your archery skills just stick with one style and method that works best in the field and in the bush hunting.

Some people over complicate shooting methods. Why.?
Stick with what works and use it across the board.

(fixed crawl) just another way to skin a cat I guess. [biglaugh]

Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting with a fixed crawl, you can decide what distance you want your point on to be. And when you use the tip of the arrow as a front sight by closing one eye, it's a very accurate shooting style.
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©