Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Next silly question please....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next silly question please....
skeaterbait
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search on stack and found this post http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001716#000000

In the post one person mentions that stack is caused by design and material. From the other explanations I get the design part, but what role does material play in stacking?

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 364 | From: Kearney, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO the 'kind' of wood or other stack elements isn't particularly important. Some 80% of the power of a bow comes from the two strips of fiberglass and how far apart they are kept by the stack in between. Even thickness of glass isn't particularly important except in the sense that thinner glass will bend around extreme curves easier.

Obviously Balsa and probably Aspen wouldn't work well as laminations, as they would no doubt crush when flexing, or even during glue-up, and that would change the space between the two pieces of glass.

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 655 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use cypress either. It will fail after very little use.

--------------------
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 2038 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know...

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 655 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickmonkey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickmonkey   Email stickmonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The core does play a role but as long as the core can handle the compression on the belly and tension on the back you can use whatever you want. Of course now its just a matter of limb mass for your choices.

Simply put stacking is when the limb tips begin to bend past 90 degrees.

--------------------
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Posts: 177 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©