Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Can it be saved

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can it be saved
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm trying to build a longbow for my father and while I was sanding the limb profile today the belt broke on my spindle sander grabbed the limb and lifted a huge fiberglass splinter about 1/8" wide at its widest but 7" long and most the thickness of the .05 fiberglass belly. What can I do? Is it possible to remove the glass and put on a new piece? Or is she toast?

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1153 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post a pic, please.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13169 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since photobucket went to yit I don't have a way yet [Confused]

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1153 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes a pic would be nice. If not, where is the splinter in the limb? Along the edge? You may be able to trap the belly enough to remove the splinter? You will lose some weight, but still make a bow.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ty_in_ND
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ty_in_ND   Email ty_in_ND   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kopper, check out imgur. You can upload your pics there for free and post them here (I'd recommend doing from a desktop, though, as it's a little frustrating trying to upload from a smartphone).

--------------------
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Posts: 82 | From: Grand Forks, North Dakota | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Ok here's a try
https://imgur.com/a/0AoeW
https://imgur.com/a/Uw7wW

--------------------

stickmonkey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickmonkey   Email stickmonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How stable is your limb when strung? Dont string it right now if you not sure. You may be able to trap that. I normally do not trap the last 6" of the tip as it weakens them or rather it causes them to open a little too soon.

I would mark 1/8" on either side of the back of both limbs and trap to the belly just enough to remove the splinter. At this point you cant glue anything too it but if you find the tips have become too weak you can make a tip wedge and glue it on the belly and make the limb nocks thin and longer as well to stiffen the area back up.

--------------------
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Posts: 177 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would probably try and trap that splinter out also.

But...another option might be to glue the splinter down with CA and then add a glass underlay on the belly to just cover the splinter? Feather the underlay into the limb. By the time you are finished sanding and rounding edges there wouldn't be much of the splinter left.

Try something and see how it goes.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mwosborn:

But...another option might be to glue the splinter down with CA and then add a glass underlay on the belly to just cover the splinter? Feather the underlay into the limb. By the time you are finished sanding and rounding edges there wouldn't be much of the splinter left

My thoughts exactly. Nothing to lose gluing it down and adding underlay. If you end up sanding the splinter away in the tiller/shaping then all the better. If not hen at least it's secured down some.
Posts: 2961 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use EA40 not superglue. Wrap it with innertube for the clamping pressure.
Posts: 891 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X2 on the EA40

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3147 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Thanks guys, how do you wrap it with the inner tube? (What's the technique?)

--------------------

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©