Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » More unnessary fun book ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More unnessary fun book ?
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fellas I was wondering if any body has read Jack Harrison's book Traditional bowyer more unnessary fun I was wondering if it was geared only to glass bows or if it was usefull for wood lam bows Or composite bows ?
Posts: 22 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a glass bow book, but it does go into a lot of engineering theory that is applicable to all bows.

If you are interested in non-glass bows, there are better options out there.

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3462 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sant-Ravenhill
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sant-Ravenhill   Email Sant-Ravenhill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto with what jsweka posted.

I know some didn't like the book because Mr. Harrison is very opinionated, but the meat of the book has some good information about glass bows, especially if you want to make a takedown using metal sleeves.

Posts: 423 | From: Montana | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got the book tonight it looks great it should be a good read for winter after hunting is over my problem is I like all types of bows even if I only make self bows or composites but see some glass in the future ! But what I glanced at so far apply's to wood lams to.
Posts: 22 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are things in that book I disagree with, mostly related to tiller and limb balance.

No matter which book we read, it's in our best interest to be a little skeptical.

Posts: 2380 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read the Jeff D book.. Learned a lot too...
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess stuart
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jess stuart   Email jess stuart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had it for sometime but, haven't gotten around to reading it. Need to.
Posts: 1427 | From: Moriarty , New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Roy whats the title of Jeff D book ?
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, I was messing with Bowjunkie. He was my mentor in bow building. When I would ask him a question, he would go into detail with his answer. I've learned a lot from Jeff.
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Lol maybe you talk him into writing one Roy ! I was just looking for a book that would go into detail on making wood lams , being new to making bow laminations but so far this one seems good for it but need a lot more free time to read it the thing weights 6 lb.
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Bowjunkie or KennyM is the guys to ask for lam info. I make my own lams too. You definitely need a good drum sander.
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Yep I got my sled from Kenny I'm actually tapering Water buffalo horn for a composite but want to practice with wood before the horn to much work in it to screw it up not knowing what I'm doing...lol
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Practice on a pine board.
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya on the horn work. I was working on flattening some gemsbok horn enough that I can put it on the sled and run it through my sander. I got a pretty good start on it then got sidetracked.
Posts: 2380 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

I have a good friend that has done a lot of Gemsbok horn straiting with a heat gun and a old wood bench vice he takes it to 300 Deg F with a infrared thermometer and squeezes it flat a little at a time but he says if it's rushed you will get vertical cracks but still usable Gemsbok horn is good horn and a lot cheaper then water buffolow horn some of his Gemsbok composite hickory core bows are topping 200 fps with a 9 grain arrow Water Buffolow is easy to work but hard to get good length also on that Gemsbok he uses one of those rounded headed ball head grinders in the drill press set at 1/8 and evens the thickness before straiting I got a little long winded there but figured I would pass that along !
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©