Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » First bow from a stave

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First bow from a stave
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to try to get some pictures up here.

Thanks again, mwosborn, for the ash stave. This was my first bow from a stave, first use of a draw knife and my first parallel-limb (non-pyramid) design. It was also my first attempt at heat bending & heat treating. So lots of firsts and, of course, plenty of trial and error.

Here is the original stave (top):
 -
Side profile:
 -

And here is the (mostly) finished bow
 -

The bow finished out 65" NTN after taking it down a few inches from the intended length. It only pulls 30# at 28" so it's going to be a backyard bow. But, over the weekend, I took my last board bow to a 3D shoot and it raised a splinter. So this one came in just in time to replace that one for backyard fun.

Since I did so little scraping on the first half of the limbs (near the fades) after floor tillering, I think that is where I took too much off. Most all my tillering time was on the last half or third of the limbs. Lesson learned: be more conservative on the floor tillering stage.

It still has a sideways crook, even after I steamed the handle a couple of times. Here's a shot of it after roughing out.
 -

But since the string is off to one side a little and I cut a shelf in, it's almost centershot. I shot a mixed group of 11/32" 50# spine and 5/16" 35# spine shafts and they all group together at 20 yards (low shots were me drawing a bit short).
 -

I wanted to experiment with a gray stain since the places I hunt have a lot of weathered wood on the ground. I may do that again next time.

I'll put a little felt on the shelf, add a leather strike plate and finish it with some beeswax later in the week.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 622 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats ! On your first stave ,watch out they get addicting !
Posts: 22 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job! Full draw pics?

The biggest advancement I've made in building bows is making sure I get the thickness taper nailed down at floor tiller. It makes the rest of tillering so much simpler. If you mess up there, the rest of your tillering will be a headache.

Posts: 131 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, congrats.
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Job! It is not uncommon for the first one (or few) to come in lighter than you want. It is definitely a process to learn...I am still learning it! [Smile]

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your first. Now get started on the next one.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13169 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on your first stave bow. Jawge
Posts: 4860 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©