Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » best way to reduce weight on vintage bow?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best way to reduce weight on vintage bow?
NIGEL01
Assoc Sponsor - CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 22184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NIGEL01   Email NIGEL01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a 65 Bear Grizzly. It says 55# but feels like 65#. Haven't weighed it with my scale yet, but would like to bring it down at least 5lbs. Would rather not sand the the flats, but was wondering if I carefully sanded the limbs edges equally would that work? I read the thread on "trapping" would that work? Would rather not wreck the bow because of the beautiful zebra wood.
Posts: 864 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'd trade it off for a bow with the correct weight.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13189 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on how rounded the sides are now you can maybe get 4-5 off getting aggressive. Kinda small trap on both sides.
Although I would vote for getting the correct weight bow and sell that one.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3166 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make personal feeling on reducing weight is that if you wouldn't be comfortable doing the tillering during the building process, you probably shouldn't try reducing the weight.. Especially on a bow you cherish.

Reducing weight isn't necessarily going to go a smoothly as 10 strokes on each edge and done. Particularly if you have to take off a fair amount of material. It can be hard to do both sides the same.

I put this kind of thing in the category of "if you have to ask".

I'm just saying I would not be cutting my teeth on a bow I care about.

Posts: 2979 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NIGEL01
Assoc Sponsor - CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 22184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NIGEL01   Email NIGEL01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I've refinished a couple of bows, that I know inadvertently reduced weight a couple pounds by over sanding the limbs. This bow has numerous stress lines and cosmetic issues, so I thought it would be a fun winter project. I've also realized that if alter a vintage bow I will never sell it to anyone else. So I guess it goes back to the classifieds! Thanks again
Posts: 864 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©