Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Staining veneers..........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Staining veneers..........
LookMomNoSights
2017 Contributor
Member # 22273

Icon 5 posted      Profile for LookMomNoSights   Author's Homepage   Email LookMomNoSights   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to staining veneers......what are some of the do's and don't? Well aware the moisture content in any of the woods we use is a crucial factor so I'm thinking water based stains are to be avoided? Should I go with an alcohol based stain? And should I be applying gently with a rag to avoid over saturation?
I have curly maple veneers I'd like to stain.

Posts: 1068 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stained maple veneers with an oil based stain once and it didn't take long to delam. [Frown]

I did.another with water based which was thoroughly dried before glue up. It's still shooting.

I think alcohol based would be ok too and would dry quicker.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3014 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stained some. I did one maple bow with Minwax stain. It felt very waxy afterwards, but as far as I know it's still shooting... although I don't think that guy shot it much. I wouldn't use that stuff again.

I used water based anilines, and it worked ok. I had to wait until it was dry and the lams warped a little, but it didn't seem to be an issue.

On the rest I've used alcohol based aniline dyes without a single issue. Don't worry about saturation. It's alcohol, it evaporates quickly. I use a cotton cloth cut from old t-shirts or socks, get it wet enough to get even coverage. Give the alcohol plenty of time to evaporate, then go over it longways with a clean very stiff bench brush to remove any cloth particles or dye residue.

The last one was curly maple that I put in a one piece recurve, and I mixed up a 'weak' dye, just to tint it the tiniest bit of a light rose color, but more to make the curl really jump out at ya... and paired it with a cocobolo riser. I hated to see that one go.

Posts: 2391 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about home made stains such as viniger+steel wool?
Posts: 247 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol based aniline dyes are the way to go. Dry quickly and very easy to touch up if necessary.

https://woodworker.com/alcohol-soluble-brt-yellow-golden-oak-aniline-dye-mssu-845-541.asp?search=aniline%20dye&searchmode=2

Posts: 11389 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LookMomNoSights
2017 Contributor
Member # 22273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LookMomNoSights   Author's Homepage   Email LookMomNoSights   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol.....I figured so. Thanks for the input and advice so far everyone!
Posts: 1068 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrushWolf   Email BrushWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Binghams sells several different colors of dye. I've used mainly the walnut but have others. I mix mine with water but I think alcohol will work also. I usually grind veneer down on the side I want stained. Stain and let dry then finish grinding them to size I worried about warping them. But to date never had an issue with it or delaminates.

--------------------
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Posts: 1321 | From: OHIO | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mountain Man
Member # 46683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mountain Man   Email Maryland Mountain Man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I plan on ordering some dark and regular walnut stains from Bingham to finish a Modoc hickory selfbow. When you've done the dyeing and smoothing, do you use something like a paste wax to seal it as the final step? I've got some Johnson's laying around I was hoping to use.

--------------------
Forearms... reminding archers of poor form for over 60,000 years.

Posts: 3 | From: Maryland | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could do that. I seal my wood bows with tung oil. Some use bear grease, true oil, etc.
Posts: 11389 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©