Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Damn It- I Cut The Shelf On the Wrong Side- Pics Added (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Damn It- I Cut The Shelf On the Wrong Side- Pics Added
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 8 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys.

Ilong story short- I cut the shelf on the wrong side. I already shaped the grip for a right handed shooter.

Thats the back side
 -

Thats the belly side
 -

Is there something I can do to save it?

Posts: 273 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee Lobbestael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Lobbestael   Email Lee Lobbestael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could cut the shelf on the correct side leaving it a little short of cut to center. Could add on a little piece of wood for extra shelf as well. And then flatten out the area you cut into on the incorrect side.
Posts: 403 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm....anything is going to be a bit of a bodge but you could continue cutting it out whilst staying as shallow as possible and neaten up that area. You could then use a casting resin to 'fill' the area and make a feature out of it. Once finished and shaped as you like I would wrap the whole riser with super light weight glass cloth (like model plane makers use) this will 'tie' everything together with little chance of any bonds failing.
As you don't have an I-beam in your riser I would keep the new shelf shallow also.

Posts: 937 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trentu
Member # 46708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trentu   Email trentu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would finish it and shoot it. I've seen many a shooter do it like that. Mainly for quick access to the arrows. It will be fine just need to get used to it.
Posts: 2 | From: IOWA | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could shoot it with a thumb ring??
Posts: 3643 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont use a thumb ring
Posts: 273 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I would leave the shelf as is and make it a lefty.
Looks like you would be close to having enough wood in the grip area to work with. If not, you could add overlays to the sides to build the riser back out.

But Robert also makes a good point. I've never tried one, but I believe it is common for thumb ring shooters to have the shelf on opposite side.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 805 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought of that Brad. I think I will make it a lefty. I'll flatten the right side of the grip and glue a piece on it so I can shape it in the palm swell.

I feel so stupid ... I worked like crazy on this bow, spent many hours and in split second I didn't pay enough attention- it's a lefty I can't shoot. (I have a lefty friend but the bow is 45# and it's too heavy for him

nashoba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nashoba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arachnid I did the same thing on a bow that I was building as a donation for our state archery organization. I just finished it as a lefty then built a right hander to donate for the auction. I donated both bows and to my surprise the left handed brought in more money for the organization because there was more competition on the bidding. I talked to the buyer after the auction and he told me that
there is never any left handed bows that are donated.

Posts: 259 | From: caledonia,ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
styksnstryngs
Member # 43400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for styksnstryngs   Email styksnstryngs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
finish and send to Joel Turner.
Posts: 69 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a lefty out of it and sell it to someone for the price of materials. Then build a new one and caulk it up as free experience.

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1886 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never ever done that. Well maybe once.. Ok, maybe twice. LOL
Posts: 11587 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it but opposite. Made a simple righty board bow for a lefty granddaughter. Easy to find a shooter for a righty.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3084 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

I finished the bow as a lefty. Narrowed it down to 36#, it came out super skinny, 1" wide at the fades.
I told my friend of what happened and his reply was: "I don`t know if I should be sad for you or happy for me [Big Grin] ". Well.... He needed a new bow so everything came put for the best.

I`m going shooting with him this friday and I`ll take some pictures for you guys.

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great..
Posts: 11587 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©