Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » R/D laminations and reflex dimensions (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: R/D laminations and reflex dimensions
Gavin_benton
Member # 46935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin_benton   Email Gavin_benton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you were to get a hickory stave what would you back it with?
Posts: 10 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing. If you get a hickory stave or board with fairly straight grain you don't need to back it. Hickory is an awesome backing!

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 217 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you have to ask yourself a few questions to determine where to start.
-what's your budget
-what do you want to do with the bow; hunt or target shoot
-would you rather a fiberglass or all wood bow.

An all wood board bow is a good place for beginners to start because of the low upfront cost and they can be made with minimal tools.
But from your comments it seems that your are more interested in fiberglass bows. You have a lot more freedom with fiberglass bows to add things like veneers and exotic risers. I would start with plans from someone like Kenny, who has a proven design with step by step instructions on how to build the bow. You can customize a few things that fit your taste. The only drawback is that you'll have a larger investment to get started.

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 217 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gavin_benton:
I worded it wrong... So I had planned on backing it with bo tuff or stabilkore and then using an exotic as a veneer. Is that okay to do? Sorry for the confusion

I think a few have tried this and the glass overpowers the wood without belly glass. Going off memory, maybe someone who has done it will speak up .

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12188 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and you will want the veneer under glass IMO.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12188 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©