Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Wanna Make a Straight (Hill?) Longbow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wanna Make a Straight (Hill?) Longbow
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys.

I want to make a straight longbow and need some directions. I`ve only built R/D bows until now, so I have a few questions:

1) What should I use as the form (I`m using inner tubes)? I guess a straight board would be enough as a form?

2) I`m planning to make it 66" long (I`m a short guy). I`ve seen hill bows go up to 72" long. So, is 66" too short?

3) How long should I make the riser? I`ve read that it`s between 15-16" but I want to be sure.

4) Stack..... is there a list of stacks for a straight longbow? I need a starting point (I`m planning to go light... 30#)

That`s all folks...
Thanks in advance

Dor

Posts: 273 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeaterbait
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only speak from my own experience.

To date a straight bow is the only glass bow I have made and I did it on a rubberband form that was nothing more than a 2x8 that I ran over a jointer and drilled for dowels.

As far as stack, you can down load the Bingham Kits sheet for stack thickness' on their kits. It's a good starting point.

--------------------
Today I will trust my Lord and Savior... you know, cause I really need the help...

Posts: 422 | From: Kearney, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a hold of a book called the American long bow by Stephen Graff it has all the info you asked and then some great book easy to read strait forward covers stack thickness , form building , Etc . and its only $17 There are some chapters on save the earth type stuff, but the meat of bow building is there and then some !
Posts: 78 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 78 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My answers to your questions:

1. A straight board could work, but I'd be afraid of it warping with repeated heating and cooling in a hot box. A plywood form would be better.

2. 66" is not too short - especially if you have < 28" draw length.

3. 15 - 16" will work. I make mine 16", but that is on the long side for this style of bow.

4. Lot's of variables here. If I wanted to make a 30# 66" bow, here's what I would do.
- 16" riser
- 0.410 total stack with 0.050 glass and 0.005 total taper rate in the laminations
- Width of the bow would be 1 1/8" for 14" from the center of the bow out each limb, then it tapers to 1/2" at the string grooves.

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3482 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with jsweka a plain board is likely to warp. Birch ply is the best but make sure it is dry before gluing it up. I cut my ply to size then let it sit in the hotbox for a few days. It won't move then.
Posts: 937 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

A few more:

1) Should I use a tip wedge? if so, how thick/long? if not- why?

2) should I use a power lam? if so, how thick/long? if not- why?

3) Whould a 0.003" taper work for a straight longbow?

Thanks

Posts: 273 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

I have never made a glass long bow but Im curently reading Graf's book on HH style long bows for a 66 in. bow he recomends a 3 lam core total taper 0.006 with a 17 in. riser no power lam but uses tip wedges & adds about 2 in. of form reflex !
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Does he explain why such a high taper rate?
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m not a hill bow guy but with narrower bows you need more taper in the lams be cause you have less side taper in limbs

Just think 1 3/4” down to 1/2 inch compared to 1 1/8 “ down to 1/2” at tips .

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12197 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.004 to .006 is typical of Hill style. It's apparently what he has found to work with his overall design parameters.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3086 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Graf says that he has experimented with different tapers and found it best for his design with the lower limb being 2 in. shorter then the top his tiller pics in the book look spot on , I'm going to make a R/D bow for my first but this book is a really good source for HH style bows and a easer read then Jack Harrison's book it has most of the answers your asking !
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

quote:
Originally posted by kennym:
I’m not a hill bow guy but with narrower bows you need more taper in the lams be cause you have less side taper in limbs

Just think 1 3/4” down to 1/2 inch compared to 1 1/8 “ down to 1/2” at tips .

Makes sense.... So 2 0.003 tapered lams should give me a 0.006 taper, right?
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, one thing to consider tho if your riser back is straight and you put the .003s in=der it on the form, glue a couple .003s to the form with thin end to center so your riser fits right.

Or I guess you could parallel the tapers out to riser ends, but I think the first option would be easier.

the .003 tapers may be stiff enough to give trouble upo the riser ramps if you run them on the belly.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12197 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heed Kenny's advice reference the tapers on the form under the stack. You can get away with taping them if your form will retain them in position.

Not using them and shaping the riser back is also a good option but will require some fine tuning to the riser.

The use of tapers that match the flat back might be a bit formidable if you don't have the necessary experience grinding the tapers but I'll wager that Kenny could grind them! [Smile]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3086 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©