Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Bow build DONE (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bow build DONE
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben it is probably about 15* , but I just set it so it is long so it won't come apart when forced down in form.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12202 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the looks of that riser you chose on that one cant wait to see it carved out ! I like your radius jig for your band saw good idea , I dont have time to make one maybe cut mine on the bandsaw & patern sand to dimension . Im glad you decided to do the build its giving me a lot of ideas !
Posts: 79 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding a little every nite. Almost back to where I was when it went South the first time, but saving my work more often now. See , you can learn an ol dawg stuff! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 12202 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great build along so far kenny [thumbsup]
Wish you had done this about a year ago, before I built my first bow. Woulda saved me compiling info from 30 different threads here on TG. Lol

I got a question/comment. Now granted I don’t use air hose, so this is purely observation. I understand the use of wedges to gain pressure in the tight radius spots. But I would have thought you would put them between the hose and upper form to ensure a nice rounded pressure on the lams.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 811 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

You could be right on that Brad, but it seemed the place to put them at the moment! LOL

It probably didn't matter up that far on the fades and got a good glue line so not sure, if I do another without changing the form again, I will try it!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok here comes the newbe questions for you guys ,does it mater when building up a riser if I use kiln dried boards and if the grain is strait does it matter if flat sawn or 1/4 also can I use comercial veneeres the thin stuff in the riser pattern , I have kiln dried bubinga,purple heart ,walnut, and air dried osage & maple,hickory any advice appreciated ! Being new over here I dont know if this is the right place to ask or start a different thread ?
Posts: 79 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Kenny... I would put them above the hose... It will add the pressure...
Posts: 324 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Ritchie, kiln dried is probably best, if not dry it will shrink a bit. And if you put any glass or phenolic in it , you will be able to feel the joint later, never had one fail but sure irritating to be able to feel the joint on it.

Where were you going to use the commercial veneer? As accents they would be fine but a little thin for my liking as most are .022", would'nt show up as well as a .060" line in the riser.

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Yellowwood
Member # 46790

That's a good thing to know Kenny on the air dried wood never really thought of it ,I was just going to accent out a peace of shop veneere with the commercial stuff I have a bunch collecting dust lying around but maybe I should make it simple on the first , does the phenolic add more strength then wood ? I found some ebony I have that I forgot about that I thought would look good caped out with a lighter veneere wood I was going to just use a solid riser at first then I seen all you guys fancy risers ! so figured I would spruce it up a bit.
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny is right about the phenolic and wood moving at different rates. Never had one fail either but it bugs me.Using phenolic with stabilized wood would be better. You can always ibeam with stronger wood or ibeam with the same wood. I found a veneer suplier that has thin stuff and thicker stuff that is dyed that can be used for veneers or accents.
web page

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3211 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Thanks for the site there Stick & info I will put that one in my pocket, I got a new Lenox venerre blade for my band saw I want to try out see how it works but need to pick up some glass or phenolic.
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ve gotten veneers from B&B and they are good quality. The exotics I've gotten from them are .021 but if they are going to be a part of the stack, best get the veneers first, measure and then grind or order the rest of the stack.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3090 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

That riser grip is looking awsome kenny ,!
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Thanks Ritchie, may be able to work on it a bit this week!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Kenny.
Posts: 11604 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©