Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » a book on tri-lams (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: a book on tri-lams
knuklhed
Member # 18462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knuklhed   Email knuklhed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy,I see you use a few spring clamps mixed in along the way. I don't have all that many C clamps, so I'm wondering if the spring type have enough clamping force to do the job all the way along, except at the posts. The main benefit I could see would be uniformity of pressure, making it impossible to over tighten, which if I understand right, leads to starving the glue joints. (Plus, the spring clamps are just a bit cheaper than C's at HF. And, I'm a cheepsk8.) What do you think?

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 10 | From: Wisconsin, SE | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They probably would, but I would place them tight against each other alternating sides, and buy stronger ones. You really don't need the bigger C clamps like I use. Smaller clamps like maybe 2" clamps would suffice.
Posts: 11549 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy have you ever thought about teaching a weekend class [campfire]

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1211 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I haven't.
Posts: 11549 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmm......... maybe you should [pray]

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1211 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Roy, maybe you should.
Posts: 2410 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Roy has enough to do already.
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
knuklhed, I started out using spring clamps and they work okay with just one lam, like if you are gluing on a backing. When I started making tri-lams I switched to c-clamps, as I didn't feel like the spring clamps provided enough force with the r/d shape and the 3 lams. I use the 2" C-clamps and they work fine. You ALMOST can't over tighten the 2" clamps as the tighten pin is so small (obviously don't crank down as hard as you can)

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 217 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stretch2
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stretch2   Email stretch2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tons of great information thanks
Posts: 92 | From: Brigham Utah | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©