JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2009 » ND Freezer Buck (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ND Freezer Buck
Pinecone
Contributor 2007
Member # 1931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinecone   Email Pinecone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it was a mighty cold morning in my ground blind on Saturday...10 degrees with a stiff 15 mph wind. Thank God for good wool, as I was clad against the elements top to bottom in KOM and Filson.

I was hunting a little patch of private land in the western part of the state where the whitetails had literally taken over. Last Winter the landowner had 70 deer yarded in his densely wooded and well-manicured 40 acres and he was anxious to have some of them removed in an effort to protect his beautiful landscaping.
Pinecone to the rescue!

I hunted this property last year and took a couple of nice does, but I passed a lot of smaller bucks and youngsters looking for something bigger. This year, I decided to change my focus and work on just filling my freezer and the freezer of the local food bank.

At about 7am a fat little 3pt (eastern count)whitetail ambled by my ground blind and stopped broadside at 14 yards. It was definately a sign that he was to be whitetail number one of the season, so I launched an arrow from my 56" Black Widow, watched it hit tight behind the left shoulder, and listened as the fleeing deer crashed only 50 yards away. I love it when a plan actually comes together...just wish it would happen more often! LOL!!!

-

[ October 11, 2009, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Pinecone ]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2260 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Denbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Denbow   Email Jack Denbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Claudia.
Jack

--------------------
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Posts: 1619 | From: Nowhere, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellow bow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow bow   Author's Homepage   Email yellow bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[clapper] [clapper]
Posts: 2171 | From: new jersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Surtees
Contributor 2010
Member # 1349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Surtees   Email Chris Surtees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 8060 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pete p
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pete p   Email pete p   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
theres some good eatin! i love N/D, beautiful country
Posts: 1241 | From: minnesota | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerardo
Contributor 2014
Member # 15145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerardo   Author's Homepage   Email Gerardo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
way to go, what is your arrow setup and lbs?

congrats!!!

Gerardo

--------------------
Gerardo Rodriguez

Posts: 1525 | From: Monterrey , Mexico | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PICKNGRIN
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PICKNGRIN   Email PICKNGRIN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you are doing your part to control the deer population!! Good job!
Posts: 1272 | From: Iowa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinecone
Contributor 2007
Member # 1931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinecone   Email Pinecone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerardo,

I used a Vapor 2000 shaft and a 190 Grizzly ElGrande BH that weighs about 230 grains with the insert. Total weight of the arrow is 480 grains and the Widow I was using is 44# @ my 27" draw.

Claudia

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2260 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
Contributor 2017
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Claudia, What Widow are you shooting?I have a new one coming. Big Ed

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 6948 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinecone
Contributor 2007
Member # 1931

Hi, Big Ed. The Widow I was shooting on Saturday is a 56" PSAX...Ironwood riser with Kingwood limbs. Beautiful wood grain and a great shooter.

Claudia

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

BKA
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BKA   Author's Homepage   Email BKA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's Great Claudia,
Fill that freezer!! by the way did you get
that fall gobbler you where after.

Brian

Posts: 151 | From: Bluefield, WV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinecone
Contributor 2007
Member # 1931

Brian,

I haven't had time to turkey hunt yet. I hope to go next weekend and when I do, your call will be with me [thumbsup] .

Claudia

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

KentuckyTJ
Contributor 2012
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Claudia. Always a good deal when you can help out the landowner. ND sends chills through my spine though burrrrr! Great shooting.

--------------------
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it >>>---->

Posts: 9044 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Morin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Morin   Email Randy Morin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Claudia. Yum!!
Posts: 1770 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gatekeeper
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gatekeeper   Email Gatekeeper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations way to get it done, Claudia. Kudos to you for your donation to the food bank [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Posts: 2409 | From: Camden Point, Missouri | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©