JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » COLORADO - Colorado Traditional Archers Society » Pike National Forest + Elk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pike National Forest + Elk
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if anyone has hunted Pike National Forest for elk and if so how was it. I have a co-worker who's parents live just outside of the park and we've talked about an elk bowhunt for a few years now. Neither one of has hunted elk though and it would be my first time in the park/state. So, anyone?

-Jeremy [coffee]

P.S. Not picky either bull or cow would work for me.

--------------------
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunt pike nf, it's good if you find the elk, if you don't then it sucks, need to figure out a particular unit to ask about though as a lot of the units in that forest are draw only. Deadline for draw entry is 2 April.

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2156 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply David. You say it's good if you find elk, are the numbers so-so there? I looked at a map my friend has and it looks like there is a "wilderness" area in the middle of the park, do you have any experience with that?

-Jeremy

--------------------

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of elk if you find them, they aren't like deer staying in a certain neck of the woods, they are nomadic, here today, overthere tomorrow or they may stay put in a spot for a while if the grub is good and nobody is blowing them out. What exactly are you talking about when you say "park", are you talking "South Park". You said Pike NF and that's a big area, I don't normally hunt wilderness areas, nothing wrong with it, just haven't done it, I don't do the pack in and stay hunts, I'm back at the camper at night.

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Posts: 2156 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Falcon
Member # 37658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Falcon   Email Blue Falcon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been able to find them in the forest itself. I live in Castle Rock and see them quite a bit roaming the private fields on the outskirts of the forest.
Posts: 54 | From: tx | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

I asked my co-worker about his parents location and he said they were in Pine, CO. He said it's about a 15-20 min drive to a trailhead that would take us into the park. Blue, that sounds about right for me, always where they're safe. Doesn't matter, deer or turkey, never where I'm at, always where I'm not. Oh well.

-Jeremy

--------------------

old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Ok, they are talking about the Colorado Trail probably, it goes though units 500 and 501 both of which are draw areas, 500 you could draw with no preference points last year, but 501 took two last year for non resident. There are good elk in both, beware, if you hike in on that trail, be prepared to share it with a lot of non hunting hikers and I mean a LOT on the weekend and especially when the aspens turn, plenty of other access points without hiking it though! I believe the wildereness area you talked about is probably in 501.

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Thank you!

--------------------

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©